These 2 Women Will Design Special Liveries for United
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Today United announced the winners for its “Her Art Here” contest in which women from all over the country compete for the chance to design the livery of two Boeing 757s.
This contest was marketed as the first of its kind and an opportunity to give female artists the representation they deserve on what could be considered one of the world’s largest canvases. “While 51% of today’s artists are women, less than 13% of art on display in museums is by women artists according to The National Museum of Women in the Arts,” reads a press release on the competition by United. “Having their designs painted on a plane (roughly 3,666 times larger than the typical 18’ x 24’ canvas) provides these women with a traveling canvas that flies on average 1.6 million miles a year and 476 cross-country trips.”
So, let’s hear about those talented women:
First, we have Tsungwei Moo. Born in Taipei, Taiwan, before emigrating to San Francisco, Moo has served as an artist in residence at Yosemite National Park for the past seven years. Her main artistic focuses have been ceramics, printmaking and painting that express the “wonders of nature and humanity.”
“I believe creating and appreciating art should not be defined by gender and cultural differences,” said Moo. “As an emerging immigrant female artist, winning Her Art Here gives me a great platform to let the world see my art. 14 years ago, I arrived in the United States on a United Airlines flight to follow my dreams and to be an artist, so it is truly surreal to have won this contest.”
The winner for the New York/New Jersey region of the contest is local Corinne Antonelli, who is currently studying illustration at Ringling College of Art and Design. The design she made is a tribute to the New York/New Jersey area. She also hopes that her success serves as an example to young female artists that anything is possible.
“Winning the Her Art Here contest means the world to me,” Antonelli said. “When I was a young girl I had many artists I looked up to and felt inspired by and now I have the opportunity to become a role model for other young girls looking to pursue a career in the arts. It feels amazing being selected as the winner from the New York and New Jersey region – I’ve lived in New Jersey my entire life and have fallen in love with the state.”
The runners up for both regions will also have their artwork featured in clubs and lounges this summer through the end of 2019. As of now, tail numbers and further information on which routes these new liveries will be flying have yet to be released yet, but onlookers can expect to see these works of art take to the skies this autumn.
Featured image courtesy of United Airlines.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees