These 2 Women Will Design Special Liveries for United
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Today United announced the winners for its “Her Art Here” contest in which women from all over the country compete for the chance to design the livery of two Boeing 757s.
This contest was marketed as the first of its kind and an opportunity to give female artists the representation they deserve on what could be considered one of the world’s largest canvases. “While 51% of today’s artists are women, less than 13% of art on display in museums is by women artists according to The National Museum of Women in the Arts,” reads a press release on the competition by United. “Having their designs painted on a plane (roughly 3,666 times larger than the typical 18’ x 24’ canvas) provides these women with a traveling canvas that flies on average 1.6 million miles a year and 476 cross-country trips.”
So, let’s hear about those talented women:
First, we have Tsungwei Moo. Born in Taipei, Taiwan, before emigrating to San Francisco, Moo has served as an artist in residence at Yosemite National Park for the past seven years. Her main artistic focuses have been ceramics, printmaking and painting that express the “wonders of nature and humanity.”
“I believe creating and appreciating art should not be defined by gender and cultural differences,” said Moo. “As an emerging immigrant female artist, winning Her Art Here gives me a great platform to let the world see my art. 14 years ago, I arrived in the United States on a United Airlines flight to follow my dreams and to be an artist, so it is truly surreal to have won this contest.”
The winner for the New York/New Jersey region of the contest is local Corinne Antonelli, who is currently studying illustration at Ringling College of Art and Design. The design she made is a tribute to the New York/New Jersey area. She also hopes that her success serves as an example to young female artists that anything is possible.
“Winning the Her Art Here contest means the world to me,” Antonelli said. “When I was a young girl I had many artists I looked up to and felt inspired by and now I have the opportunity to become a role model for other young girls looking to pursue a career in the arts. It feels amazing being selected as the winner from the New York and New Jersey region – I’ve lived in New Jersey my entire life and have fallen in love with the state.”
The runners up for both regions will also have their artwork featured in clubs and lounges this summer through the end of 2019. As of now, tail numbers and further information on which routes these new liveries will be flying have yet to be released yet, but onlookers can expect to see these works of art take to the skies this autumn.
Featured image courtesy of United Airlines.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases.
- 2X points on dining at restaurants including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 2x total points on up to $1,000 in grocery store purchases per month from November 1, 2020 to April 30, 2021. Includes eligible pick-up and delivery services.