Calling Female Artists: United Wants You to Design the Paint Job on a Boeing 757
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
United’s giving female artists a very special canvas to show their work: a Boeing 757. In anticipation of Women’s History Month in March, United’s offering underrepresented female artists the opportunity to promote their art on the side of one of its planes.
To enter to have your art displayed on the side of one of United’s Boeing 757s as part of the Her Art Here campaign, you must identify as a woman, including cisgender, transgender, woman-aligned or non-binary. Additionally, you must reside in the United States and be able to visually represent either New York/New Jersey or California — two key markets for the carrier. United flies 757s from Newark (EWR) to Los Angeles (LAX), San Francisco (SFO) and San Diego (SAN).
Women interested in entering should visit United’s dedicated site and submit a design idea and examples of their work portfolio, along with a short video. Submissions must be made by March 24, and a panel of judges will narrow submissions down to three finalists. The public will then vote between April 10-19 to determine the winning artists.
Two winners — one representing California and one representing New York/New Jersey — will be selected to work alongside artist Shantell Martin to finalize the design for their respective region’s plane. Final designs will take flight this fall, and both finalists and winners will have their work displayed in United terminals through 2019 and be awarded 100,000 MileagePlus miles — worth $1,400 based on TPG’s most recent valuations.
United says that the Boeing 757 flies an average of 1.6 million miles per year and 476 cross-country trips.
According to The National Museum of Women in the Arts, while 51% of today’s artists are women, fewer than 13% have their work on display in museums.
“As a company, we believe in the importance of equality of women in what has historically been a male dominated field,” said Jill Kaplan, United’s president for New York and New Jersey. “When we heard the statistics about how underrepresented women are when it comes to displaying their art, we thought what better way to contribute to changing this narrative than by offering the biggest canvas we have access to — an aircraft.”
United’s says that it has more women pilots than any other airline in the world. It has worked with Women in Aviation for more than 25 years, and with Girls in Aviation Day, to ensure that the future of United features females in the cockpit.
All images courtesy of United.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees