There’s a New Place to Catch Your Uber at San Francisco International Airport
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Heads up, San Francisco International Airport travelers: The airport announced Tuesday that all ride-hailing pickups will be relocated from terminal curbsides to a parking garage beginning in June. According to SFGate, the decision comes as the airport looks to reduce the number of traffic related to ride-hailing pickups. With the move, San Francisco International Airport (SFO) joins other major airports like Seattle International Airport and New York LaGuardia in relocating pickups to a central location away from terminal curbsides.
Effective June 3, 2019, all ride-hailing pick-ups from passengers arriving at the airport’s domestic terminals will be located on the top level of the airport’s hourly parking garage serving the domestic terminals. Passengers arriving on flights that use the airport’s international terminal will continue to meet their drivers at designated curbside locations. Additionally, all drop-offs will continue to be done curbside.
The relocation of airport pick-ups applies to all ride-hailing companies including Uber, Lyft and Wingz. According to SFGate, Uber and Lyft began offering riders $3 off their rides to select the domestic parking garage as their pick-up location. SFGate also notes that the airport moved all pooling services like UberPool and Lyft’s shared rides to the hourly parking garage at the domestic terminals. However, the airport reports that even with services offering cheaper rides and moving pooling services, curbside pick-ups at the domestic terminals were only reduced by 21%.
In preparation for the relocation of ride-hailing pick-ups, the airport is making structural improvements to the upper-level of the domestic hourly parking garage, which will include the addition of curbside-style pick-up areas within the garage. In the future, the airport plans to add amenities for ride-hailing users including “enhanced canopies, automated sliding doors, parklets, shelters, and seating”, according to a press release.
With the June 3 relocation of airport pick-ups for ride-hailing services, the airport is hoping to achieve a 45% reduction in app-based car service traffic on terminal roadways.
Passengers that plan to use ride-hailing services can expect terminal and roadway signage to reflect the move by June 3.
Featured image courtesy of San Francisco International Airport.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees