A new boutique Hyatt with a rooftop pool just opened near the Santa Monica Airport
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Culver City, California, has a sleek new hotel where locals are invited to chill and travelers can rest their heads near the Santa Monica Airport.
The Shay, a 148-room Destination by Hyatt hotel, opened this week and is the portfolio’s first urban hotel in Southern California and the only new hotel on the books in the Culver City area of Los Angeles.
More importantly for travelers, it could be a fun option for those times when you can’t venture too far from the airport. While Culver City might not be the first place you think of to make your home base on a trip to sunny Los Angeles, The Shay is located right near the Metro E Line and is about a 12-minute drive to the Santa Monica Airport and roughly 20-minutes (depending on, sigh, LA traffic) to LAX.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
Drawing inspiration from the neighborhood’s industrial past and emerging creative community, the hotel has large, open spaces that allow for a sense of camaraderie between people just passing through and those hunkered down to work.
There are also intimate nooks tucked away throughout the lobby, courtyard and roof deck for folks taking Zoom calls, having intimate conversations or simply looking to relax.
In the rooms, guests should expect that same creative energy to spill over with oversized windows, curated artwork and a modern, gray-and-yellow color palette that reflects the neighborhood. A handful of suites have large living rooms, a separate work area, soaking tubs, wet bars and even patios.
As a Category 5 hotel with World of Hyatt, standard rooms will set you back 20,000 points per night, while at the time of publication standard cash rates start around $359 per night — not including about $82 in taxes and fees, including a $30 per night “destination fee” (read: resort fee).
TPG currently values World of Hyatt points at 1.7 cents a piece, so using points could be a reasonable way to pay for a room here if you don’t want to use cash (20,000 Hyatt points is valued at roughly $340), even though you won’t earn points on an award night.
Plus, one of the perks of using World of Hyatt points is that you don’t have to pay the resort or destination fee, regardless of status. And Globalist members never have to pay that fee, even when booking with cash.
Outside of the room, guests will have plenty of food and drink options to choose from, including a “Mexican-inspired restaurant,” Celestina, on the rooftop and the wood-fired eatery Etta, which has indoor and outdoor seating on the ground level. Both restaurants were created by chef Danny Grant’s What If Syndicate group. And if that’s not enough, the LA outpost of Roberta’s, the beloved Brooklyn pizza spot, is around the corner.
The hotel also offers the area’s first rooftop pool, with plans to have live music and comedy shows for visitors.
“The Shay is the first hotel in Culver City to celebrate the area’s growing creative community while fully embracing its rich history,” the hotel’s general manager, Ryan Parker, said in a statement.
Featured image courtesy of Hyatt
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees