The Future of Urban Ride-Hailing Arrives in New Flying Vehicle Concept
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Embraer is commonly associated with regional jets operated by carriers like American, Delta and United, but its EmbraerX arm has unveiled a new flying vehicle concept. It’s a far cry from the planes we typically see on short-haul flights between locales like DC and New York, but it stands to reason that legacy airlines may diversify their business by eventually putting birds like these in their fleet.
The aircraft concept was unveiled at the third annual Uber Elevate conference in Washington, DC. The standout feature would be its electric vertical take-off and landing capability, known as eVTOL, which would enable it to easily (and quietly) land, pick up new passengers and depart in remarkably tight spaces.
Per a company release, the unnamed craft is aiming for “operational optimization for the urban environment, considering high reliability, low operating costs, a lower noise footprint, fully electric powered and progressively autonomous.” Said another way, this machine would be better for the environment and could one day pilot itself.
While it’s just a concept at the moment, it’s not as far-fetched as it may seem at first blush. BLADE already enables consumers to hail a helicopter with an app, and ride-hailing firm Uber isn’t being coy about its intentions to include aircraft in its future vehicle selections. (Photo courtesy of EmbraerX)
Even if the likes of Uber and Lyft pass on utilizing urban aircraft, EmbraerX says it is developing a new business platform (dubbed Beacon) to “foster collaboration and synchronize aviation services companies and professionals in a streamlined and more agile way, to keep aircraft flying.” The company is also working with dozens of air traffic controllers, academics, pilots and industry experts to propose an “urban air space design to allow more aircraft to fly in urban environments.”
Hopefully, it’s only a matter of time before we’re able to use monthly Uber credits on The Platinum Card® from American Express (or points and miles from other programs) to catch a quick aerial lift in the city.
Featured image and additional reporting by Brendan Dorsey/The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees