Aston Martin, Rolls Royce Developing Their Own Flying Cars
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Could this be James Bond’s next super-vehicle? Both Aston Martin and Rolls-Royce unveiled their own flying car concepts at the Farnborough Airshow this week.
Aston Martin, the British carmaker known for its luxury vehicles, is developing Vertical Take-off and landing (VTOL) vehicles in partnership with Cranfield University and oddly enough, Rolls-Royce. These are just the latest companies to start their own ventures into the untamed space of personal aircraft — both Uber and Airbus are working on their own, “flying car” VTOL aircraft.
Named the Volante Vision Concept, Aston Martin’s aircraft is designed to hold three people and is powered by a hybrid electric engine. It’s designed to hit speeds of 200mph and will incorporate technology to allow it to operate autonomously
This won’t be your commuter vehicle for the masses that other companies are pitching, but a “sports car for the skies” says Aston Martin’s Director of Global Government James Stephens. It’s not cheap either, with the company estimating the price to fall between £3-5 million ($3.9-6.5 million).
“Air travel will be a crucial part in the future of transportation [and] the Volante Vision Concept is the ultimate luxury mobility solution,” Aston Martin President and CEO Andy Palmer said in a news release.
The team hopes to have the vehicle ready for Farnbourough 2020.
Rolls-Royce, the airline engine manufacturer, not to be confused with the car company owned by BMW, is developing its own concept vehicle. The aircraft includes enough space for five people and could cruise at a dashing 250mph for approximately 500 miles.
Like others, Rolls Royce will be an EVTOL vehicle that’s “specially designed to have a low noise profile.” The company says it will have a prototype in the next 18 months that could take to the skies by the early 2020s.
“Electrification is an exciting and inescapable trend across industrial technology markets and while the move to more electric propulsion will be gradual for us, it will ultimately be a revolution,” Rob Watson, head of Rolls-Royce’s Electrical team, said.
Featured image by Tolga Akmen / AFP / Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees