Uber Is Launching a Flying Car Research Lab in Paris
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Per the announcement, Uber will establish a research and development center in Paris dedicated to flying cars — investing 20 million euros in the center over the next five years. It will be called the Advanced Technology Center Paris and will be Uber’s first R&D lab outside North American when it opens this fall. Workers at the center will help develop AI and other air traffic control systems that can be used when a large air taxi system comes into use.
France is known for its deep pool of talent in the aeronautics field and is home to Airbus headquarters. Amazon and NASA recently set up camp in the country to develop air traffic control systems for the coming wave of delivery drones.
École Polytechnique, a university in suburban Paris, will collaborate with Uber “on research across artificial intelligence, aviation and all-electric transport.”
The announcement described potential urban air mobility ventures:
Initial projects will include: machine learning-based transport demand modeling, high-density low-altitude air traffic management simulations, integration of innovative airspace transport solutions with European aviation regulators such as EASA, and the development of smart grids to support future fleets of electric transport on the ground and in the air.
Uber hopes the center will accelerate its flying car program and get it closer to promised demonstration flights in 2020. The program hopes to develop autonomous flying “cars” that are purely powered by electricity and that would transport riders via air instead of the ground. The vehicles would be able to take off and land similarly to a helicopter, but with a much lower operating cost than a traditional VTOL aircraft.
Uber wrapped up its second Uber Elevate conference a few weeks ago where the company announced a new concept vehicle, an expanded partnership with NASA and a new agreement with the US Army. The program is still a long way from mass use — most of these aircraft are still in the early stages of development and its economics are questionable.
Featured image courtesy of Uber.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees