You Can Take a Vacation to a Glacier in Svalbard This Summer
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Instead of heading to the beach this summer, you might want to consider a trip north instead. Very far north.
With travel company Off the Map Travel‘s new vacation package, you can spend the night on a glacier in Norway and enjoy an adventure-packed itinerary this summer. Plus, you’ll get to experience the amazing fauna of the area — and yes, that does include polar bears.
Book the trip, called “Night on a Glacier,” and you’ll venture to the remote archipelago of Svalbard. There, you’ll stay at the Nordenskiöld Lodge, which sits at the edge of a stunning glacier. In fact, the location is so isolated, it’s said that you can actually hear the sound of glaciers moving.
Throughout the trip, travelers can participate in amazing excursions, including dog sledding in Svalbard, kayaking along the rugged fjords and a guided climb to the top of the glacier. And, on the Zodiac boat ride to the glacier, visitors may even be able to see wildlife like walruses and beluga whales in their natural habitat. Explorers also get to indulge in the rejuvenating offerings of the Nordenskiöld Lodge, such as its traditional wood sauna.
The lodge itself has five bedrooms and a total of 10 beds, so you can bring your best (most intrepid) friends and family members along for the trip.
“This is a spectacular opportunity for adventure lovers,” Jonny Cooper, adventure travel expert and founder of Off the Map Travel, said in a statement. “Svalbard is one of the world’s best spots for seeing wildlife, with May to September [being] the optimal months as the snow has melted. And at the expedition lodge, you’ll enjoy all manner of amenities and comforts with the chance to see polar bears.”
The itinerary is available from May through September 2019, and can be customized, so costs will vary. But the recommended five-day trip starts at $8,353 per person (or $1,671 per night) and actually includes two nights at Nordenskiöld. With a splurge like that, just be sure to charge the trip to a card that will give you a serious return on your spend, such as the Chase Sapphire Reserve for 3x points.
Remote northern expeditions may not sound like a popular way to spend summer vacation, but the trend is growing at a notable clip. Last month, Hotels.com offered a coupon for the stay in an Instagram-worthy igloo.located in the Arctic town of Ittoqqortoormiit on an island off the coast of East Greenland — that made one-night stays available for less than $1. Also in Greenland, Off the Map recently announced a vacation package that includes a
Featured image by Holly Park courtesy of Off the Map Travel.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.