You Can Take a Vacation to a Glacier in Svalbard This Summer
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
Instead of heading to the beach this summer, you might want to consider a trip north instead. Very far north.
With travel company Off the Map Travel‘s new vacation package, you can spend the night on a glacier in Norway and enjoy an adventure-packed itinerary this summer. Plus, you’ll get to experience the amazing fauna of the area — and yes, that does include polar bears.
Book the trip, called “Night on a Glacier,” and you’ll venture to the remote archipelago of Svalbard. There, you’ll stay at the Nordenskiöld Lodge, which sits at the edge of a stunning glacier. In fact, the location is so isolated, it’s said that you can actually hear the sound of glaciers moving.
Throughout the trip, travelers can participate in amazing excursions, including dog sledding in Svalbard, kayaking along the rugged fjords and a guided climb to the top of the glacier. And, on the Zodiac boat ride to the glacier, visitors may even be able to see wildlife like walruses and beluga whales in their natural habitat. Explorers also get to indulge in the rejuvenating offerings of the Nordenskiöld Lodge, such as its traditional wood sauna.
The lodge itself has five bedrooms and a total of 10 beds, so you can bring your best (most intrepid) friends and family members along for the trip.
“This is a spectacular opportunity for adventure lovers,” Jonny Cooper, adventure travel expert and founder of Off the Map Travel, said in a statement. “Svalbard is one of the world’s best spots for seeing wildlife, with May to September [being] the optimal months as the snow has melted. And at the expedition lodge, you’ll enjoy all manner of amenities and comforts with the chance to see polar bears.”
The itinerary is available from May through September 2019, and can be customized, so costs will vary. But the recommended five-day trip starts at $8,353 per person (or $1,671 per night) and actually includes two nights at Nordenskiöld. With a splurge like that, just be sure to charge the trip to a card that will give you a serious return on your spend, such as the Chase Sapphire Reserve for 3x points.
Remote northern expeditions may not sound like a popular way to spend summer vacation, but the trend is growing at a notable clip. Last month, Hotels.com offered a coupon for the stay in an Instagram-worthy igloo.located in the Arctic town of Ittoqqortoormiit on an island off the coast of East Greenland — that made one-night stays available for less than $1. Also in Greenland, Off the Map recently announced a vacation package that includes a
Featured image by Holly Park courtesy of Off the Map Travel.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees