You Can Sleep in a Colony of Igloos in Greenland
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
If you grew up in the Midwest (or any other area that demands a bit of post-snowfall creativity), you’ve probably spent some time playing around in a hand-built igloo. But the new igloo accommodations in Greenland from travel planning company Off the Map are far from the haphazard snow structures of your childhood.
Even for the most intrepid travelers, planning a trip to Greenland can be tricky. With unpredictable weather and freezing temperatures during the wintertime, it’s a location left to cold weather enthusiasts, Northern Lights hunters and winter sports pros.
But the Igloo Lodge is making Greenland a bit more accessible for travelers of all stripes. Each igloo comes equipped with reindeer skins, sleeping bags and a petroleum lamp: everything you need to sleep comfortably in this remote Arctic location. There’s a communal cabin with bathrooms and a dining area. But you’ll still need to be OK with the cold: outside the Igloo Lodge, temperatures can plunge below zero. And even inside the igloos, it hovers around a balmy 32 degrees Fahrenheit.
The Igloo Lodge comprises five domes, each with room to sleep two people comfortably. And though the experience of sleeping in an igloo is likely to get traction for its Instagram-worthiness, Off the Map’s main goal is sharing the traditional building style the Inuit people have utilized for generations.
Of course, these igloos have a considerable price tag. A five-day, four-night stay between the end of January and April runs around $1,300 per person (about $325 per night). The fee is inclusive of three nights at the Hotel Arctic, snowshoeing, snowmobiling, two Northern Lights safaris and just one evening spent sleeping in an igloo.
For an additional fee, you can also add your flights to your package.
The igloos are located in the town of Ilulissat, which is known for the staggering number of icebergs (so many that it’s known as the iceberg capital of the world) that drift by every year. You can also visit the Jakobshavn Glacier (the origin of the passing icebergs), a UNESCO World Heritage Site located a quick walk from Ilulissat.
As remote as it is, Greenland is beginning to drum up interest among leisure travelers. Earlier this month, Hotels.com offered a coupon code on a stay at the
For more information on how to book your trip to the Igloo Lodge, head over to the Off the Map website.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees