This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
As part of its merger with Starwood Hotels, Marriott is significantly stepping up its experiences game, adding countless redemption opportunities around the world. This latest redemption appears to be a holdover from the SPG Moments days, however, and Starwood Preferred Guest’s long-standing partnership with Emirates.
Through 10:30am ET on June 11, 2018, SPG is offering members an opportunity to bid Starpoints for an upcoming Emirates inaugural flight, from Dubai (DXB) to Santiago (SCL) on July 5. The package includes a return ticket on July 11, with both flights in business class. In addition to Dubai-Fort Lauderdale (FLL), this will be the second route operated with Emirates’ retrofitted 777-200LR, with brand-new biz-class seats in a more spacious (though not industry-leading) 2-2-2 configuration. This refreshed plane offers lie-flat seats, while the older 777-200LR configuration has angle-flat seats in a 2-3-2 arrangement.
The auction runs through 10:30am ET on June 11, 2018, with the maximum bid currently at 153,500 Starpoints — worth $4,145 based on TPG’s most recent valuations. While I expect bidding to jump up quite a bit from that point, even if the auction doubles in price, you’d still be getting a solid deal, considering everything that’s included:
- Two Emirates round-trip business-class tickets on the inaugural flight from Dubai to Santiago
- Chauffeur-drive service to and from the airport in Dubai; access to business-class lounge at Dubai airport, priority check-in, boarding and baggage delivery
- A 5-night stay in a one-bedroom Marvelous Suite for two at the W Santiago Hotel (Check-in July 5, 2018 – Check-out July 10, 2018)
- Complimentary daily buffet breakfast for two
- Two complimentary drinks at Red2One rooftop bar
- Complimentary dinner for two at KARAI by Mitsuharu
- Airport transfer to and from W Santiago Hotel
Unfortunately award seats aren’t available on the inaugural flight, though you can use miles to book one-way business class on July 8, for 105,000 Skywards miles plus a whopping $490 in cash. That makes this package even more appealing, since you’d need to redeem a considerable number of miles to book directly through Emirates. Paid biz flights will run you about $5,500 round-trip.
Of course, this isn’t a terribly convenient itinerary for SPG members based in the US, but if you’re currently in the Middle East or don’t mind traveling far out of your way to chase an inaugural flight, this Moments auction could net you a pretty solid return.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 50,000 point sign up bonus, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards