Bid SPG Points for Business Class on an Emirates Inaugural Flight
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
As part of its merger with Starwood Hotels, Marriott is significantly stepping up its experiences game, adding countless redemption opportunities around the world. This latest redemption appears to be a holdover from the SPG Moments days, however, and Starwood Preferred Guest’s long-standing partnership with Emirates.
Through 10:30am ET on June 11, 2018, SPG is offering members an opportunity to bid Starpoints for an upcoming Emirates inaugural flight, from Dubai (DXB) to Santiago (SCL) on July 5. The package includes a return ticket on July 11, with both flights in business class. In addition to Dubai-Fort Lauderdale (FLL), this will be the second route operated with Emirates’ retrofitted 777-200LR, with brand-new biz-class seats in a more spacious (though not industry-leading) 2-2-2 configuration. This refreshed plane offers lie-flat seats, while the older 777-200LR configuration has angle-flat seats in a 2-3-2 arrangement.
The auction runs through 10:30am ET on June 11, 2018, with the maximum bid currently at 153,500 Starpoints — worth $4,145 based on TPG’s most recent valuations. While I expect bidding to jump up quite a bit from that point, even if the auction doubles in price, you’d still be getting a solid deal, considering everything that’s included:
- Two Emirates round-trip business-class tickets on the inaugural flight from Dubai to Santiago
- Chauffeur-drive service to and from the airport in Dubai; access to business-class lounge at Dubai airport, priority check-in, boarding and baggage delivery
- A 5-night stay in a one-bedroom Marvelous Suite for two at the W Santiago Hotel (Check-in July 5, 2018 – Check-out July 10, 2018)
- Complimentary daily buffet breakfast for two
- Two complimentary drinks at Red2One rooftop bar
- Complimentary dinner for two at KARAI by Mitsuharu
- Airport transfer to and from W Santiago Hotel
Unfortunately award seats aren’t available on the inaugural flight, though you can use miles to book one-way business class on July 8, for 105,000 Skywards miles plus a whopping $490 in cash. That makes this package even more appealing, since you’d need to redeem a considerable number of miles to book directly through Emirates. Paid biz flights will run you about $5,500 round-trip.
Of course, this isn’t a terribly convenient itinerary for SPG members based in the US, but if you’re currently in the Middle East or don’t mind traveling far out of your way to chase an inaugural flight, this Moments auction could net you a pretty solid return.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: Up to 100,000 bonus miles
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,040
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X miles on United® purchases
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80K bonus miles after you spend $5,000 on purchases in the first 3 months your account is open. Plus, an additional 20K bonus miles after you spend $10,000 in the first 6 months
- $250 Annual Fee
- Earn 3X miles on United® purchases, 2X miles at restaurants, on select streaming services & all other travel, 1X on all other purchases
- Earn 3X miles on United Airlines purchases
- Earn 2X miles at restaurants and on select streaming services
- Earn 2X miles on all other travel
- Earn 1X mile on all other purchases
- Each year, receive a $125 credit on United® purchases and two 5k-mile anniversary award flight credits. Terms apply.