Southwest is bringing peanuts back — but you won’t find them on planes
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
When Southwest broke up with inflight peanuts last summer, the airline stated that peanuts “forever will be part of Southwest’s history and DNA.”
The LUV carrier — alongside several other airlines — stopped serving America’s favorite sky snack out of deference to travelers with peanut allergies, opting instead for pretzels on short flights and a larger variety of packaged treats for longer-haul routes.
A scant 16 months later, Southwest peanuts are back — but not on board, and not for free. Instead, Southwest is offering an entire slew of peanut-related merchandise through the airline’s online store. (Did you know the airline had a store? I did not.)The star of the peanut gallery is a limited edition, retro-inspired lunchbox for $29, which is currently on back order. The product description states that each box is double-sided with images of the original lightly salted and honey roasted peanut packaging, and contains two 10-ounce packages, one in each flavor.
But that’s not all: You could also snuggle up with a double-sided print pillow featuring both peanut flavors for $29; charge your mobile devices on a $19 2,500 mAh power bank that’s “wrapped” in packaging to look like a pack of peanuts (or buy a pack of 10 for $190); or store your ID and change in a $9 zippered pouch. You can even burp your baby on a $9 peanut-shaped burp cloth, printed in a cheery shade of Southwest blue with red and yellow planes printed on it.
Now, the only question is: What are you waiting for? Go nuts!
Featured photo courtesy of the Southwest Store.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.