Singapore Airlines Stops Serving Peanuts On Flights
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Singapore Airlines (SIA) has stopped serving peanuts as snacks to customers in all its cabin classes. However, the airline will continue to serve other nuts —including cashews, macadamias and almonds on its flights.
TPG reached out to Singapore Airlines, and they confirmed that the new policy had been in effect since April 2018 and would apply to all its cabin classes. Snack packs with peanuts had been replaced with peas and crackers in Economy Class, according to an SIA spokesperson. Additionally, cashews, macadamia nuts and walnuts will continue to be served in Suites and First Class, while almonds and cashews will still be given out in Business Class and Premium Economy Class.
The new policy comes after several mid-flight peanut allergy incidents, including one that occurred last July on a SIA flight. The airline began reviewing its peanut policy after a three-year-old with a severe peanut allergy suffered a potentially life-threatening reaction when passengers around him opened packs of peanuts. In recent days, a 9-year-old old boy suffered a near-fatal allergic reaction after consuming peanuts on board an American Airlines flight from Aruba to New York in March.
Singapore Airlines now joins several other airlines in changing its peanut policy. Airlines including Qantas, Air New Zealand and British Airways have stopped handing out peanuts as snacks to customers.
The airline’s travel info request page now includes this alert on its page:
“A nut-free special meal does not contain peanuts and tree nuts (including almonds, Brazil nuts, cashew nuts, hazelnuts, pistachios, walnuts, pecans and macadamias), and their derivatives. We’ll make every reasonable effort to accommodate your request for a nut-free meal. However, we’re unable to provide a nut-free cabin or guarantee an allergy-free environment on board. It’s not unusual for other passengers on our flights to be served meals and snacks containing nuts or their derivatives. We also have no control over passengers consuming their own snacks or meals on board, which may contain nuts or their derivatives. We request that you take every necessary precaution, bearing in mind the risk of exposure. If you have any concerns about your fitness to travel, we encourage you to share this information and discuss your travel plans with your doctor.”
If you or your travel companion(s) have a peanut allergy, there is no need to panic. Be sure to take the necessary precautions when traveling with a peanut allergy: Call the airline and make them aware of your condition at least 24 hours before the flight, bring all the medications you think you’ll need and take allergy medication before the flight, if necessary.
Featured Image by DronG// Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees