Say Goodbye to Southwest Airlines Peanuts, an Airline Icon
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Southwest Airlines will retire its most notable snack starting August 1, 2018.
The airline, which served more than 106 million peanuts in 2017, announced Tuesday it will be removing the famous snack from all flights because of concerns over nut allergies.
“Peanuts forever will be part of Southwest’s history and DNA,” Southwest said in a statement. “However, to ensure the best on-board experience for everyone, especially for customers with peanut-related allergies, we’ve made the difficult decision to discontinue serving peanuts on all flights.”
The FDA identifies peanuts as the sixth-most common allergenic food — the legumes and their seven other counterparts make up for 90% of all food allergy-related reactions. Southwest Airlines joins other carriers like United and American Airlines, which do not serve packaged peanuts, and Delta, which will not serve the peanuts if a passenger informs the airline of their allergy prior to their flight.
“We’ll miss the peanuts, but, at the end of the day, it’s our Southwest Employees and the Hospitality they deliver that set us apart, far more than peanuts ever could,” Southwest said.
This card from Bank of America gets really interesting if you have a BofA checking, savings or investment account. Depending on the value of your combined accounts you can potentially get as much as 3.5x points on travel/dining and 2.625x points on other purchases making it the richest consumer banking bonus out there.
- Receive 50,000 bonus points – a $500 value – after you make at least $3,000 in purchases in the first 90 days of account opening
- Earn unlimited 2 points for every $1 spent on travel and dining purchases and unlimited 1.5 points per $1 spent on all other purchases
- If you're a Bank of America Preferred Rewards member, you can earn 25%-75% more points on every purchase
- No limit to the points you can earn and your points don't expire
- Redeem for cash back as a statement credit, deposit into eligible Bank of America® accounts, credit to eligible Merrill accounts, or gift cards or purchases at the Bank of America Travel Center
- Get up to $200 in combined airline incidental and airport expedited screening statement credits + valuable travel insurance protections
- No Foreign Transaction Fees
- Low $95 annual fee