No More Flying for Peanuts on Southwest Airlines
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
To The Point
It is the end of an era as you can no longer fly for peanuts on Southwest Airlines as of August 1, 2018. Because of safety concerns for their passengers with peanut allergies, Southwest is trading in the peanuts in favor of more pretzels. Lightly salted and honey roasted peanuts all have to go in the interest of safety…
Southwest Airlines coined the phrase, ‘fly for peanuts’, but now you will have to fly Southwest without the peanuts as the airline is going peanut-free as of August 1. This decision was reportedly made in the interest of safety for passengers with peanut allergies. Southwest will now only offer pretzels on shorter flights and a larger selection of snacks on longer flights.
Believe it or not, this announcement by Southwest has been met with a wide range of reactions. Many applaud the airline for doing what it can to make flights as safe as possible for those with severe peanut allergies, while others aren’t so thrilled with the lack of free peanuts in the sky.
Of course, there is no guarantee that any flight is 100% free from peanut dust as other passengers could bring their own from home to enjoy, but you would have to imagine that Southwest planes will have far less peanut dust once the nuts are phased out.
Given that so many schools and daycares are now completely nut-free, it makes some sense that an airline that is very popular with families would stop handing peanuts out to all passengers. Peanut allergies are present in only about 1% of the population, but they are one of the most common causes of food-related deaths. To put the numbers another way, if 140 people are on a Southwest flight, the odds are in favor of at least one person on the plane having a peanut allergy of some type.
If your family has been avoiding Southwest because of the prevalence of peanuts, check back beginning in August when the peanuts will be traded in for even more pretzels.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 2X points on Southwest purchases and 1X point on all other purchases. This card also comes with an annual $75 Southwest travel credit.
- Our best points offer ever! Earn up to 100,000 bonus points. Earn 50,000 bonus points after spending $2,000 on purchases in the first 3 months your account is open, plus 50,000 more bonus points after spending $12,000 total on purchases in the first 12 months.
- 7,500 anniversary points each year.
- Now enjoy more benefits and more ways to earn.
- New! Earn 3X points on Southwest® purchases.
- New! Earn 2X points on local transit and commuting, including rideshare.
- New! Earn 2X points on internet, cable, phone services, and select streaming.
- $75 Southwest® travel credit each year.
- 4 Upgraded Boardings per year when available.