This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Back in September, Southwest started offering free in-flight messaging. Now, Southwest is eliminating its $5 per movie fee and instead offering 100% free in-flight entertainment. In particular, movies, messaging, live TV, on-demand TV episodes, music, destination guides and games are now available to passengers at no additional cost. (You’ll still need to pay $8 per day for internet access if you want to surf the web or check emails.)
Southwest planes don’t offer seat-back screens or power so you’ll need to bring your own fully charged device. Also, you’ll need to download the Southwest app from the Google Play Store or Apple App Store before your flight if you want to watch movies and select on-demand TV content. Other than that, most in-flight entertainment options are accessible as long as you have a device with Wi-Fi.
Southwest’s in-flight entertainment is only offered on Wi-Fi enabled routes. But, it’s extremely rare to encounter a route where Wi-Fi isn’t enabled. And, Wi-Fi remains on and accessible throughout the entire flight including taxi, takeoff and landing.
If you’re interested in seeing the current selection of 32 movies and 16 live TV stations before boarding, Southwest shows the listings on their website.
Families flying on Southwest will be particularly happy that these listings include the Disney Channel and a few movies that look suitable for children. After all, Southwest was named TPG’s best US airline for families in 2018, and this further solidifies its claim to that top spot. Just make sure to install the Southwest app ahead of time, bring headphones and fully charge your devices before boarding.
Featured photo of a Southwest plane at Houston Hobby courtesy of Stephen M. Keller / Southwest.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 50,000 point sign up bonus, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards