Southwest Now Offers Free In-Flight Movies
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Back in September, Southwest started offering free in-flight messaging. Now, Southwest is eliminating its $5 per movie fee and instead offering 100% free in-flight entertainment. In particular, movies, messaging, live TV, on-demand TV episodes, music, destination guides and games are now available to passengers at no additional cost. (You’ll still need to pay $8 per day for internet access if you want to surf the web or check emails.)
Southwest planes don’t offer seat-back screens or power so you’ll need to bring your own fully charged device. Also, you’ll need to download the Southwest app from the Google Play Store or Apple App Store before your flight if you want to watch movies and select on-demand TV content. Other than that, most in-flight entertainment options are accessible as long as you have a device with Wi-Fi.
Southwest’s in-flight entertainment is only offered on Wi-Fi enabled routes. But, it’s extremely rare to encounter a route where Wi-Fi isn’t enabled. And, Wi-Fi remains on and accessible throughout the entire flight including taxi, takeoff and landing.
If you’re interested in seeing the current selection of 32 movies and 16 live TV stations before boarding, Southwest shows the listings on their website.
Families flying on Southwest will be particularly happy that these listings include the Disney Channel and a few movies that look suitable for children. After all, Southwest was named TPG’s best US airline for families in 2018, and this further solidifies its claim to that top spot. Just make sure to install the Southwest app ahead of time, bring headphones and fully charge your devices before boarding.
Featured photo of a Southwest plane at Houston Hobby courtesy of Stephen M. Keller / Southwest.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.