Southwest Joins Delta, Alaska in Offering Free In-Flight Messaging
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
LUV just gave its fans something else to love. Southwest rolled out complimentary in-flight messaging earlier this month on select Wi-Fi enabled routes, TPG confirmed with an airline spokesperson on Wednesday.
Customers can check the entertainment portal on board to see if the feature is available on that particular flight, the spokesperson said.
“When available, passengers will see a ‘Free Access’ button instead of a link to payment page on the messaging tab in the WiFi portal. The service is limited to iMessage and WhatsApp, and does not support sending photos.”
In-flight messaging previously cost $2 on board Southwest flights, with the same text-only limitations. Full Wi-Fi capability costs $8 for all-day access, regardless of the number of flights taken that day.
Featured photo by Getty Images.
H/T: View From the Wing
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.