Southwest Airlines Adds 2 Routes, Extends Schedule Into 2020
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Southwest Airlines is adding two nonstop routes to its schedule, announced by the carrier on Thursday as it extended its booking schedule through Jan. 5.
From its base at Baltimore/Washington (BWI), Southwest will add daily nonstop service to Greenville/Spartanburg, South Carolina (GSP). The route, which will begin Nov. 3, restores service that Southwest last offered in 2016.
Southwest also will add Saturday-only service between Boston (BOS) and Fort Lauderdale, Florida (FLL). The route is a competitive one, already served by Delta, JetBlue and Spirit.
Elsewhere, Southwest also adjust its schedules at Long Beach, California, where it is juggling shifting slot availability at the capacity controlled airport. Beginning Oct. 1, Southwest will offer the following schedule there:
Related: The 7 Best Starter Credit Cards
- Oakland (OAK): Four daily flights.
- San Jose, California (SJC).: Four flights a day on weekdays and three flights on Saturdays and Sundays
- Sacramento, California (SMF): Four flights a day on weekdays and three flights on Saturdays and Sundays
- Las Vegas (LAS): Two flights a day on weekends. Also, for October only, an additional round-trip flight each Tuesday and Wednesday.
- Denver (DEN): For October only, one round-trip flight each Saturday and Sunday.
“Southwest’s schedule offering for Long Beach Customers is built using a combination of slots allocated both longer-term and monthly by the airport,” Southwest said in a statement to The Points Guy. “This leveraging of unused slots enables us to offer a published schedule of up to 16 departures a day this summer, for example, through our current allocation of 12 structural slots. We appreciate the airport ensuring that unused capacity is made available.”
THE POINTS GUY: Southwest Schedule Extended: Book Your Winter Flights Now
Southwest said no routes were being permanently discontinued in its latest schedule update. However, several are being ended seasonally – a common practice at Southwest as it shifts capacity between its winter and summer schedules. Dropped markets are largely being replaced in the winter schedule with warm-weather options, such as Austin (AUS), Texas, to Cancun (CUN), Mexico, and Denver (DEN) to Belize (BZE).
Overall, the schedule extension was a relatively quiet one for Southwest, with few new routes added to the schedule. While Southwest made no specific mention of it in its statement, the indefinite grounding of the Boeing 737 MAX has certainly become a headache for schedule planners at the carrier. Southwest currently has 34 737 MAX 8s in its fleet, making it the largest MAX operator in the US. When it first took the jet out of its schedules, Southwest said it was canceling up to 150 flights a day to compensate for the loss of the aircraft. Going forward, Southwest now cannot count on an aircraft it expected to be in its schedules.
Baltimore/Washington-Greenville/Spartanburg, South Carolina
Daily service. One daily round-trip flight begins Nov. 3.
Direct competition: None.
Boston-Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Saturday-only service. Begins Nov. 9.
Direct competition: Delta, JetBlue and Spirit currently offer daily service between Boston and Fort Lauderdale. American also flies from Boston to nearby Miami. Delta begins Boston-Miami service in December.
Daily service begins Nov. 3:
- Austin-Cancun, Mexico
Saturday-only service begins Nov. 9 between the following city-pairs:
- Houston Hobby (HOU)-Aruba (AUA)
- Nashville (BNA)-Cancun
- Milwaukee (MKE)-Cancun
- San Antonio (SAT)-Cancun
- Baltimore/Washington-Liberia, Costa Rica (LIR)
- Baltimore/Washington-San Jose, Costa Rica (SJO)
- Denver (DEN)-Belize (BZE)
- Chicago Midway (MDW)- Los Cabos, Mexico (SJD)
The routes being suspended for the winter schedule: St. Louis-Panama City, Florida; Indianapolis-New Orleans; Indianapolis-Oakland; Kansas City, Missouri-Portland, Oregon; Chicago Midway-Pensacola, Florida; Chicago Midway-Reno, Nevada; and Minneapolis/St. Paul-Oakland.
Schedules on those routes are a mix of daily and weekend-only service, and Southwest notes some will temporarily resume during the busy travel windows around the Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year’s holidays.
Featured image: Robert Alexander/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees