There’s a Southwest 737 for sale on Facebook — really
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
I just checked the couch cushions and my daughter’s piggy-bank. Sadly, no, I don’t have $550,000 to spare.
But if I did, I would seriously consider buying a used Boeing 737-300 that’s sitting out in the California desert.
What AvGeek wouldn’t?
I mean, I’ve already purchased part of a retired Delta Air Lines DC-9.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
Acquired by Southwest Airlines in 1996, this jet still has the famous beige-and-blue coach seats and Southwest “canyon blue” livery. What it doesn’t have: two engines.
A pair of engines can set you back a few million dollars, but this plane could still be considered “a deal.” Consider this: The list price for Boeing’s smallest 737 (the 737-700) is $89.1 million, though airlines typically negotiate steep discounts.
TPG couldn’t verify the legitimacy of the Facebook ad for this plane, but the jet with tail number N630WN has been at an aircraft storage facility in Victorville, California, since Aug. 15, 2017. So it seems like a real possibility that this bird is in need of a new home.
Sure, it’s seen better days, but close your eyes for a minute and imagine all the possibilities — all the ways you could give this iconic plane a new dry lease on life:
- Keep the Southwest livery but only fly the plane to Northeastern cities.
- Rip out all the coach seats and replace them with couches and lie-flat beds, but still keep Southwest’s open-seating policy.
- Turn it into a restaurant but only serve peanuts and Wild Turkey bourbon.
- Make it a hotel or vacation rental. Kids can sleep in the overhead bins.
- Turn it into a really long bus and drive it between Dallas and Houston.
- Open the world’s first mid-air bowling alley.
- Cut it up and sell windows to AvGeeks and Instagram stars who are stuck at home but who want to pretend they’re flying.
Of course, if you can afford this plane — plus a pair of new engines, the cost of jet fuel, maintenance, and airport parking and landing fees — you could find yourself with a cool new ride.
Unfortunately, my wife probably wouldn’t be too pleased with this impulse buy. So instead, I’m going to continue racking up frequent flyer miles for my next trip, skip this purchase and keep my marriage intact.
Featured photo by Ryan Patterson for The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees