This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
China Eastern Airlines this week took delivery of its first Airbus A350-900. Before you brush this off as an airline you aren’t likely to fly, it’s worth noting that China Eastern is a SkyTeam partner that oftentimes offers bargain prices on business class seats. In other words, this may well be your best shot to affordably fly up front on one of the world’s most acclaimed widebody jets while still earning miles on your airline of choice.
The new aircraft — configured to fly 288 passengers — will start operations domestically before flying to international destinations next year. The A350 is configured with four classes of service: Four First Class seats, 36 Business Class seats, 32 Premium Economy seats and 216 Economy seats. China Eastern is the largest operator of Airbus aircraft in Asia and the second largest world wide — outpaced only by American Airlines.
For Delta SkyMiles members this is an opportunity to fly on what is still a pretty rare aircraft — Delta only operates the aircraft on seven international routes, mostly based out of Detroit — and earn Delta SkyMiles in the process. Booking a flight on the China Eastern A350, and crediting earnings to your SkyMiles account, will earn you 100-200% on Medallion Qualifying Miles depending on your class of service. However, the best you can expect to earn for Medallion Qualifying Dollars is 60% according to Delta’s Partner Reward charts.
Of course, if Delta isn’t your carrier of choice, you can credit flights to other SkyTeam airlines such as Air France, KLM, Virgin Atlantic and AeroMexico.
China Eastern Airlines is known for having some great deals for business class. As the airline starts moving forward with international flights with it’s newest A350s, its worth keeping an eye out for deals from China Eastern if you want to fly on what’s still a rare set of wings for the moment. Delta has taken delivery of less than half of its total A350 order — 11 of 25 planes.
SkyMiles members — or other SkyTeam Frequent Flyers — heading to or from Asia who want to check this newest wide-body off the bucket list should keep an eye out for deals on China Eastern flights when they start flying internationally with the A350 next year. It could be a great way to earn SkyMiles while logging a few hours in a shiny new Airbus. Starting next year, the A350s will be operating routes to Amsterdam (AMS), Frankfurt (FRA), Vancouver (YVR) and Sydney (SYD) from Shanghai (PVG).
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
NEW INCREASED OFFER: 60,000 points! With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 60,000 point sign up bonus worth up to $1,200 in value, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards