Amazing Deal Alert: LA to Beijing in China Eastern Business Class From $1,137 Round-Trip
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
Airfare deals are typically only available on limited dates. We recommend you use Google Flights to find dates to fly, then book through an online travel agency such as Expedia, which allows you to cancel flights without penalty by 11:00pm Eastern Time within one day of booking. However, if you’re using the American Express Platinum Card, you’ll need to book directly with the airline or through Amex Travel portal to get 5x MR points. Remember: Fares may disappear quickly, so book right away and take advantage of Expedia’s courtesy cancellation if you’re unable to get the time away from work or family.
China Eastern is currently offering amazing business class fares from Los Angeles (LAX) to Beijing (PEK) from $1,137 round-trip for travel from late August through the beginning of October. The catch to this deal is that it’s only available through online travel agencies (OTAs) — not with the airline directly. It’s unclear whether this is a mistake fare, and if the airline will actually honor the tickets, so keep that in mind when making additional plans. By DOT law, airlines are allowed to cancel mistake fare tickets. But based on a FlyerTalk thread, this deal has been around for over a week, and China Eastern hasn’t cancelled anyone’s discounted tickets yet.
If you’re still intrigued by the offer, you can use Momondo to find dates that work best for you (the discounted fares do not show on Google Flights), and then book with an OTA such as FlightHub. $1,254 was the lowest fare we were able to find using the major OTAs, such as Expedia and Orbitz, but you may want to consider paying that premium and booking through those better-known OTAs to have the protection of their easy 24-hour cancel policies.
By crediting the flights to Delta SkyMiles, you’ll earn at least (more for elites) 150% MQMs, 200% redeemable miles, and MQDs equivalent to 40% of the distance flown — 21,498 MQMs, 28,664 redeemable miles (worth $343.97 based on TPG’s valuations) and 5,733 MQDs, respectively. Although some may argue that the mileage run is dead, this deal could definitely be lucrative for someone chasing Delta elite status.
Airline: China Eastern Airlines
Routes: LAX to PEK
Cost: $1,137+ round-trip in business class
Dates: August – October 2018
Booking Link: Orbitz, Expedia or FlightHub
Pay With: The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on airfare), Chase Sapphire Reserve, Citi Prestige (5x on airfare plus excellent trip delay insurance) or Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on travel)
Here are a few examples of what you can book:
Los Angeles (LAX) to Beijing (PEK) for $1,137 round-trip via FlightHub:
Los Angeles (LAX) to Beijing (PEK) for $1,254 round-trip via Expedia:
Maximize Your Purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as the American Express Platinum Card (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Chase Sapphire Reserve, or Citi Prestige (5x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
H/T: One Mile at a Time
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 75,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,500
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, up to $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 75,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $5,000 on purchases on your new Card in your first 6 months of Card Membership.
- Earn 10x points on eligible purchases on your new Card at U.S. Gas Stations and U.S. Supermarkets, on up to $15,000 in combined purchases, during your first 6 months of Card Membership. That’s an additional 9 points on top of the 1 point you earn for these purchases.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and up to $200 in Uber savings on rides or eats orders in the US annually. Uber Cash and Uber VIP status is available to Basic Card Member and Additional Centurion Cards only.
- Earn 5X Membership Rewards® Points for flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel. Starting January 1, 2021, earn 5X points on up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year.
- 5X Membership Rewards® Points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy complimentary access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits through American Express Travel with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts® program at over 1,100 properties. Learn More.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. That’s up to $50 in statement credits semi-annually. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees