This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
If you’re looking for a truly one-of-a-kind Airbnb experience, do a quick search for “Earthship.” Mostly located in mild, dry regions across the United States (think: New Mexico, Arizona, Colorado), these solar homes are made from upcycled materials. Taos, New Mexico is an especially great haven for eco-friendly architecture fans, and there is no shortage of homes in the area for rent on Airbnb.
The whole draw of an Earthship is how dependent it is on the natural elements. According to Earthship Biotecture (an architecture group led by Michael Reynolds that has been building these homes in Taos for years) to be an official Earthship, the home needs to check a couple of boxes: It must produce its own electricity, and provide water from natural sources. It must have an on-site sewage system and use passive heating and cooling. Food should be produced nearby, and the Earthship should be built with readily-available materials.
A home that satisfies all six requirements will make it possible for anyone in one of these homes to survive off the grid. Even though your Airbnb stay may be temporary, it’s an incredible way for travelers to experience sustainable living.
Typically, these homes are constructed of, well, trash: old tires, plastic bottles, cans and cardboard. And the architecture is not to be overlooked, either. Most of the homes appear more like extensions of the Earth than manmade structures.
We pulled together a handful of the most eye-catching Earthships you can rent on Airbnb, so you see these incredible structures for yourself. Just be sure to put the stay on your Chase Sapphire Reserve card for 3x points — one of the best travel rewards credit cards for Airbnb.
This two-bedroom home in El Prado, New Mexico was built by Earthship Biotecture and comes equipped with a vegetable garden, Wi-Fi and killer views.
This home looks more like a palace than anything. Also located in El Prado, you’ll have access to a greenhouse, a fish pond, a chicken coop (fresh eggs!), a fire pit and an indoor fireplace.
This Earthship is located within the Greater World Earthship Community near the Sangre de Cristo Mountains. Why this one stands out: open-air skylights in all of the bedrooms so you can stargaze without ever leaving bed. There are also indoor garden planters throughout the house, which is a delightful way to bring the outside in.
Located just outside of Taos, this Earthship comes with a ton of modern amenities: Wi-Fi, Netflix, soaking tub, laundry and a great cooking set-up. The best part of the home may be the hallway-length set of glass windows opening up a view of the surrounding nature.
Built by Earthship Biotecture, this is one of the newest Earthships available to rent. Waybee’s architecture may appear neutral from the outside, but hop inside and you’ll be delighted by all of the pops of color (don’t miss the stained glass inside the bathroom!). The glass solarium is lined with a row of plants, making the perfect place to set up with a good book.
Feature image courtesy of Airbnb.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees