Winter Is Here: Ski Season Starts Early as More Colorado Resorts Open
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
After a less-than-award-winning ski season last year, the 2018-2019 US ski season is off to a tremendous and earlier-than-normal start, courtesy of Mother Nature. Last week, the Wolf Creek Ski Area in south central Colorado powered up its lifts well ahead of schedule thanks to 30 inches of October snow. Now, two more Colorado ski resorts have announced opening dates this weekend.
Arapahoe Basin to Open on Friday
Arapahoe Basin (A-Basin), located 96 miles west from Denver International Airport (DEN) via I-70, has announced a start to the ski season beginning on Friday, Oct. 19, thanks to two feet of natural snow and temperatures that can accommodate additional snowmaking.
While A-Basin plans to be open seven days a week, not all of the terrain is ready for prime-time skiing. At present, Black Mountain Express and High Noon will be open as of 9am on Friday with additional terrain open as conditions permit.
Opening day tickets at A-Basin are currently available online for $50.99, with discounts available for children and seniors. An even better deal, especially if you plan to ski on pricier peak season days, is the four-pack available for $189. This gets you four unrestricted days of skiing during the season. Child’s four-packs are available for those ages 6-14 at $119.
Loveland Ski Area to Open on Saturday
Not to be (too) outdone by nearby A-Basin in the annual race to open first, Loveland Ski Area will also open this weekend at 8:30am on Saturday with two feet of snow from Mother Nature — and a little extra help from the machines. Chet’s Dream, the new high speed lift, opens on Oct. 20 with access to Catwalk, Mambo and Home Run available. Chet’s Dream will be open from top-to-bottom with an 18-inch base.
Opening Day is Saturday, October 20! We will kick-off the 2018/19 season with some fresh snow and a new lift. Chet’s Dream opens at 8:30am with access to Catwalk, Mambo and Home Run. Come help us celebrate the start of another long and snowy season at Loveland! pic.twitter.com/BvzR8H1PDD
— Loveland Ski Area (@LovelandSkiArea) October 16, 2018
Early season lift tickets at Loveland are $65 for adults and $31 for children 6-14. However, you could also get an even better “4-Pak” than A-Basin. The Loveland packs are just $169 for four lift tickets can be used by the same person or shared among multiple people on any day of the 2018-2019 ski season. You need to order your Loveland 4-Paks by Nov. 18, 2018.
Stay Near the Snow on Points
If you are looking for a points-friendly lodging option near both Loveland and A-Basin, check out the Hyatt Place Keystone located about five miles from A-Basin and 13 miles from Loveland. That property becomes an even sweeter deal at 15,000 World of Hyatt points per night once the family-friendly Keystone Resort opens (currently set for Nov. 9), but it also isn’t a bad choice when doing early season skiing at A-Basin or Loveland.
Featured image courtesy of Arapahoe Basin
Set your own sign-up bonus with the Discover it Miles card. Any rewards you earn in the first year will automatically be matched at the end of the year and you'll earn an unlimited 1.5 miles on all purchases with no annual fee.
- Unlimited Bonus: Discover will match all the Miles you've earned at the end of your first year, automatically. For example, if you earn 35,000 Miles, you get 70,000 Miles. That's $700 towards travel! The more you earn, the more you get.
- Earn unlimited 1.5x Miles for every dollar spent on all purchases - with no annual fee.
- No Blackout Dates. Simply pay for travel purchases like airlines, hotels, rental cars, and more with your Discover it® Miles card.
- Miles Pay You Back. Easily redeem Miles as a statement credit for travel purchases. Or get cash.
- Freeze your account in seconds with an on/off switch either on the mobile app or website to prevent new purchases, cash advances, and balance transfers.
- Get your free Credit Scorecard with your FICO® Credit Score, number of recent inquiries and more.
- Get an alert if we find your Social Security number on any of thousands of Dark Web sites.* Activate for free.
- Rates & Fees