The World’s Fanciest Airport Just Added a Crown Jewel
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The world’s best airport is getting even fancier. The 10-story Jewel Changi Airport complex finally opened at Singapore’s namesake airport (SIN) Wednesday. The 1.46-million-sq.-ft. retail development directly connects to the arrivals hall of Terminal 1, and is just a five-to-10-minute walk from Terminals 2 and 3 via air-conditioned moving walkways. And although the space is intended primarily for airport visitors, anyone can access the Jewel, as it’s located outside of immigration and security regions.
The glass-and-steel Jewel was born out of the airport’s need to expand Terminal 1 and parking capacity, and reflects the lavish opulence for which Singapore is renowned. Multiple “park” areas boast lush tropical greenery to refresh travel-weary passersby, including more than 100,000 shrubs and over 2,000 trees and palms surrounding the development’s 280 shops and restaurants. The 131-foot indoor waterfall, called the Rain Vortex, is the world’s tallest indoor waterfall, although the structure will be eclipsed by the 164-foot Qingdao Eden waterfall in China which debuts in 2020.
The top floors of the Jewel feature a skylight ceiling for abundant natural light, while some walkways feature glass floors. The Mesh Nets, opening June 10, offer adventurous travelers the chance to experience the “indescribable sensation of lightness” by walking across sturdy netting suspended 82 feet above the air.
Dining options range from Singapore’s famed street food to world-class international cuisine, while stores offer a variety of shopping experiences, from local brands to global designers.
Travelers will be able to free up their hands for exploring by taking advantage of early check-in privileges currently offered by 26 airlines, including flagship carrier Singapore Airlines, with more participating partners anticipated in weeks to come. (Even if your particular airline doesn’t offer early check-in, you can still go hands-free by dropping off your bags at the designated Left Baggage counters on Level 1, which operates 24 hours a day.)
The Jewel Changi Airport is also home to a brand-new YotelAIR, the brand’s first hotel in Asia. The rooms, or “cabins”, are inspired by first-class aircraft design, and include rainfall showerheads and adjustable SmartBeds, which fold from couch to double bed.
Reflecting its location and the Singapore airport’s 24/7 reputation, the hotel’s 130 cabins will be available at both a standard day rate and an hourly rate, starting at ~$59 USD for up to four hours — perfect for a nap during a layover. Hourly reservations can be made directly through the hotel by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. The largest cabins are the Family size, which can accommodate up to four guests in one room.
For the latest travel news, deals and points and miles tips please subscribe to The Points Guy daily email newsletter.
Featured photos courtesy of Jewel Changi Airport and YotelAIR.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees