Singapore Airlines to Give Singapore-Changi Lounges a Major Facelift
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Singapore Airlines has announced plans to overhaul business and first class lounges at the airline’s main hub at Singapore Changi Airport (SIN). Estimated to cost upward of $37 million, the renovations will modernize the premium lounges and expand capacity by up to 30%.
According to a press release, renovations will begin in August 2019. The process of updating Singapore Airlines’ three Changi T3 lounges will take around two years, with renovations expected to wrap up in mid-2021.
The following Singapore Airlines lounges at Singapore Changi Airport (SIN) will receive a major face-lift:
- The Private Room — Terminal 3 (Located within The First Class Lounge)
- SilverKris The First Class Lounge — Terminal 3
- SilverKris Business Class Lounge — Terminal 3
- KrisFlyer Gold Lounge — Terminal 3
Upon completion, passengers can expect updated and more modern lounges as well as improved amenities. Here are the plans for each lounge as outlined by Singapore Airlines:
The Private Room
Singapore Airlines’ The Private Room is the airline’s most luxurious and exclusive space for premium travelers. The Private Room is accessible to departing passengers who are booked in First Class or First Class Suites on a three-cabin aircraft operated by Singapore Airlines. The Private Room is located within The First Class Lounge and offers luxe restaurant-style dining.
Renovations will modernize The Private Room and enhance dining options. According to the press release, passengers visiting The Private Room can expect “an enhanced epicurean journey with fresh and seasonally curated dining offerings, on top of the perennial local favorites.”
SilverKris First Class Lounge
The First Class Lounge, like The Private Room, is quite exclusive, with access restricted to passengers traveling in first class on Singapore Airlines and select Star Alliance partner flights.
Renovations will modernize The First Class Lounge and improve the amenities offered to travelers. Both The First Class Lounge and The Private Room will receive “carefully designed luxurious and intimate seating spaces suitable for both work and rest,” according to the airline. Additionally, food and beverage in The First Class Lounge will also be improved.
SilverKris Business Class Lounge
Accessible to business class passengers flying on Singapore Airlines and eligible Star Alliance partner flights, the massive SilverKris Business Class Lounge is set to receive upgrades and an increase in capacity.
The updated Business Class Lounge will be expanded and feature “four distinct zones that cater to travelers with different needs.” For example, travelers with a brief connection can grab a snack at the lounge in a “relaxed cafe setting.” Or, travelers with longer connections can visit the lounge and enjoy a “full selection of Asian and international cuisines in the dining hall.” The dining hall will also offer live action stations cooking up local cuisine.
The airline noted that the highlight of the updated Business Class Lounge will be the new full-service bar that doubles as a self-service breakfast station in the mornings. Other existing amenities including semiprivate work pods and chaise lounges for extended rest will receive updates.
KrisFlyer Gold Lounge
Singapore Airlines’ KrisFlyer Gold Lounge is accessible to Star Alliance frequent flyers with Gold status. Additionally, the lounge is accessible to KrisFlyer Gold elite frequent flyers.
The KrisFlyer Gold Lounge in Terminal 3 appears to be the lounge receiving the most extensive renovations. Renovations will double capacity at the lounge, add new dedicated work stations, increase the size of the al fresco dining area, and equip the lounge with restrooms and showers.
While the renovations will greatly enhance the KrisFlyer Gold Lounge, eligible travelers will likely find the updated SilverKris Business Class Lounge still offers a more premium experience.
“With extensive research and feedback garnered from our customers, we have relooked and re-envisioned our customer journey to develop this new design concept for our lounges at T3. Keeping the needs and wants of our customers in mind, we aim to deliver an experience that exemplifies the luxury and warm hospitality that SIA is known for,” Senior Vice President Customer Services & Operations Marvin Tan said.
In terms of timeline, the SilverKris Business Class Lounge will be the first space to undergo renovations. The SilverKris First Class Lounge and The Private Room will follow, with the KrisFlyer Gold Lounge being the last lounge to undergo renovations.
Unfortunately, the renovations will likely inconvenience travelers while being completed: Singapore Airlines has already posted a link on its site advising passengers at its Terminal 3 lounges to consider alternate lounges.
Singapore Airlines plans to offer temporary lounges during renovations to “ensure minimal disruption.”
For the latest travel news, deals and points and miles tips please subscribe to The Points Guy daily email newsletter.
Featured image courtesy of Singapore Airlines
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.