London set to get its seventh airport by 2023
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The U.K. government has approved the development of a seventh London airport. The currently disused airstrip, known as Manston International Airport until 2014, has been bought by RiverOak Strategic Partners, which is planning on developing the space into a fully operational airport by 2023. If it does go ahead, it will join London’s Heathrow, Gatwick, Southend, Stansted, City and Luton airports, with the code MSE.
For more travel tips and news, sign up for our daily newsletter.
At a distance of over 70 miles, it’s the farthest airport from the center of London, meaning it’s not likely to be a Londoner’s first choice. Heathrow is only 19 miles away, and even Luton and Southend, the most distant from the city, are under 40 miles. For those living in Kent, however, the airport will likely be a popular choice.
While the current plan is to have scheduled short-haul commercial and private jet flights, the main aim for the airport is to create a global freight hub that is able to handle 10,000 cargo movements per year.
“Once built, Manston will be one of the most modern, efficient and environmentally friendly freight hubs in the world”, Director of RiverOak Strategic Partners Tony Freudmann told the BBC.
As usual with plans for developments in the aviation industry, the airport has come against some opposition. Among the opposers is Anne Marie Nixey of No Night Flights, a group against the introduction of night flights in the Thanet and Kent area.
“It’s going to blight two towns at either end of the runway, it’s a failed airport and has been for over 15 years, run by a company with no particular airport experience”, Nixey said.
Though the government has officially given the go-ahead for the development of the new airport, the decision could still be overruled if it is sufficiently challenged before the end of a six-week deadline.
Featured image by Gareth Fuller/Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees