How to Avoid Customs Fines, Common Highway Schemes in Spain, Amazon Prime Changes and More
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Each Saturday, we round up news stories that you might have missed from the week before, including several that already appeared on The Points Guy and some more that we haven’t covered yet. If you’re an avid TPG reader, scroll down for the new stuff. Here’s the top miles, points and travel news you might have missed this week.
International travelers, check out how to avoid a steep Customs and Border Protection Fine.
Amidst Air France-KLM ongoing employee, the airline group’s CEO resigned and the airlines’ shares at its lowest levels since April 2017.
Your friend borrowed your SPG Starpoints, but you want to be paid back in Hilton Honors points. Here’s a breakdown of how you pay someone back with points.
Traveling to Spain? Don’t fall for this Common Scheme
Everything you need to know about this common highway scam in Spain.
Take a look at Eric Rosen’s Japan Airlines experience. See why JAL remains one of his favorite ways to fly business class between the US and Asia.
The Association of Flight Attendants-CWA (AFA) released a nationwide survey that revealed 70% of US flight attendants reported sexual harassment on the job.
In other news…
Amazon Prime Fee is going up
Amazon announced changes to the cost of Prime membership. Starting May 11, Amazon Prime will cost $119 for new users and prime renewals will go up to $119 starting June 16.
25% transfer bonus from Membership Rewards to Flying Blue
American Express is currently offering a 25% transfer bonus on Membership Rewards points transferred to Air France / KLM Flying Blue until June 15.
Disney had an airport
Did you know? Disney had its own airports, Lake Buena Vista Airport and Lake Buena Vista STOLport airport. The airport was used for smaller planes with “Short Takeoff and Landing” (STOL) capabilities.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.