Southwest Updates Companion Pass Rules, Peanut Allergies in the Air, Flying on the Houston Express and More
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Each Saturday, we round up news stories that you might have missed from the week before, including several that already appeared on The Points Guy and some more that we haven’t covered yet. If you’re an avid TPG reader, scroll down for the new stuff. Here’s the top miles, points and travel news you might have missed this week.
Experts say that people with peanut allergies can actually fly safely with minimal precaution and without having to alert crew beforehand.
Southwest announced changes to its co-branded credit cards with Chase making it harder for passengers to earn the companion pass.
The Houston Express is an #AvGeeks dream that connects Houston to Angola — read about one of the final flights for this route.
Check out the monthly valuations for April here.
These boxes popping up at airports around the country are billed as, “Your private office, whenever you need it.” Read the article on for details on the Jabbrrbox.
TPG was at Embraer’s headquarters in São José dos Campos, Brazil, on Wednesday morning for the arrival of the first E190-E2.
Inside the First-Ever Embraer E2 Jet, the World’s Newest Passenger Airplane
Take a look at the interior of the world’s first E2 jet.
In other news…
Earn 2 Extra MR Points with Amex Express Checkout at Newegg, Staples, Walmart and More
Take a look here to see how to get 2 extra Membership Reward points with Amex Express checkout at these select retailers.
Obnoxious passenger shamed back to coach after helping herself to ‘upgrade’
Watch a video of a passenger attempt to self-upgrade to business class three times.
Can NASA’s X-plane resurrect supersonic passenger air travel?
NASA’s newest project is a piloted plane that’s designed to produce sonic booms that would barely be audible from the ground. Read here for full details on the supersonic plane.
Featured image by TPG‘s Wallace Cotton.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees