Royal Caribbean tightens cruise mask policy as COVID-19 cases climb in US
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
In response to the increase in COVID-19 cases due to the omicron variant, Royal Caribbean has tightened its onboard mask policies. The line will now require all passengers to wear masks in all indoor public areas unless eating or drinking.
That includes fully vaccinated cruisers, even when they’re visiting onboard areas designated as vaccinated-only.
For more cruise news, reviews and tips, sign up for TPG’s new cruise newsletter.
Previously, certain areas of Royal Caribbean’s ships — such as the spas, teppanyaki restaurants, lower levels of the theaters, and specific bars and lounges — were reserved for those who had received the full course of shots. When frequenting those locations, passengers were able to remove their masks.
Although wording on the line’s website indicates separate areas for vaccinated passengers will remain, cruisers in those areas will have to keep their masks on, at least on sailings departing through Jan. 5, 2022, at which time the policy will be revisited.
“We feel it prudent to temporarily tighten our onboard health protocols,” the line said in a statement sent to booked passengers. “We’re sorry for any disappointment that this may cause, but hope you understand that health and safety come first.”
Featured image of a sign on the Freedom of the Seas reminding passengers to mask up by Ashley Kosciolek/The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees