This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
In March of last year, Madeira Airport (FNC) revealed the bust of world-renowned Portuguese soccer player Cristiano Ronaldo – and it went viral for all the wrong reasons. Now, more than a year later, the airport has unveiled a new statue of Ronaldo upon his request, and most would agree that the new sculpture captures his symmetry and charm much better than the original.
The original bust was revealed to commemorate the renaming of the airport to honor the superstar athlete, making it what it’s called now, Cristiano Ronaldo Airport. The bronzed figure caught traction on Twitter and some made edits of what Ronaldo would look like if his face actually resembled the statue. Maybe it was the sculpture’s goofy smile or unaligned eyes or the reflection of the bronze on the teeth that turned it into a meme. Regardless, the general consensus was that the face wasn’t Ronaldo’s.
Poking fun at the bust was a blast for almost everyone. While the sculptor, Emanuel Santos defended his work and argued that it captured Ronaldo’s essence the best, many of us wondered how such a universally attractive face could be configured into such an interesting bust.
Ronaldo probably wondered this, too, because he asked for a new bust to be sculpted. After all, he is considered to be one of the GOAT (greatest of all time) according to ESPN, especially after one of his best performances, if not his best performance, in the tied Spain VS Portugal World Cup game on Friday.
Needless to say, the original artist was not commissioned for the sculpture that replaced his original. An unnamed Spanish artist’s work replaced his.
The downside: No more selfies with the funny sculpture. People are even petitioning to bring it back. The upside: We assume that Ronaldo is probably happier with his new chiseled and dignified face at FNC.
Featured image by HELDER SANTOS/AFP/Getty Images.
With some great bonus categories, the American Express Gold Card has a lot going for it. The card offers 4x points at US restaurants, at US supermarkets (up to $25,000; then 1x), and 3x points on flights booked directly with airlines or through amextravel.com. It is currently offering a welcome bonus of 35,000 bonus points after you spend $2,000 in the first three months.
- Earn 35,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $2,000 on eligible purchases with your new Card within the first 3 months.
- Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. restaurants. Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $25,000 per year in purchases, then 1X).
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or on amextravel.com.
- Earn up to $10 in statement credits monthly when you pay with The Gold Card at Grubhub, Seamless, The Cheesecake Factory, Shake Shack, and Ruth's Chris Steak House. This is an annual savings of up to $120. Enrollment required.
- $100 Airline Fee Credit: up to $100 in statement credits per calendar year for incidental fees at one selected qualifying airline.
- Choose to carry a balance with interest on eligible charges of $100 or more.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- Annual Fee is $250.
- Terms apply.
- See Rates & Fees