Ronaldo’s Rather Unfortunate Statue at Madeira Airport Has Been Replaced
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
In March of last year, Madeira Airport (FNC) revealed the bust of world-renowned Portuguese soccer player Cristiano Ronaldo – and it went viral for all the wrong reasons. Now, more than a year later, the airport has unveiled a new statue of Ronaldo upon his request, and most would agree that the new sculpture captures his symmetry and charm much better than the original.
The original bust was revealed to commemorate the renaming of the airport to honor the superstar athlete, making it what it’s called now, Cristiano Ronaldo Airport. The bronzed figure caught traction on Twitter and some made edits of what Ronaldo would look like if his face actually resembled the statue. Maybe it was the sculpture’s goofy smile or unaligned eyes or the reflection of the bronze on the teeth that turned it into a meme. Regardless, the general consensus was that the face wasn’t Ronaldo’s.
Poking fun at the bust was a blast for almost everyone. While the sculptor, Emanuel Santos defended his work and argued that it captured Ronaldo’s essence the best, many of us wondered how such a universally attractive face could be configured into such an interesting bust.
Ronaldo probably wondered this, too, because he asked for a new bust to be sculpted. After all, he is considered to be one of the GOAT (greatest of all time) according to ESPN, especially after one of his best performances, if not his best performance, in the tied Spain VS Portugal World Cup game on Friday.
Needless to say, the original artist was not commissioned for the sculpture that replaced his original. An unnamed Spanish artist’s work replaced his.
The downside: No more selfies with the funny sculpture. People are even petitioning to bring it back. The upside: We assume that Ronaldo is probably happier with his new chiseled and dignified face at FNC.
Featured image by HELDER SANTOS/AFP/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees