This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Soccer superstar Cristiano Ronaldo is considered to be a national hero in Madeira, the autonomous island region of Portugal where he was born, so much so that Madeira International Airport (FNC) was recently renamed Cristiano Ronaldo Madeira International Airport in his honor. To help commemorate the occasion, a bronze bust of Ronaldo was unveiled — an event that should have been a buoyant celebration of the island’s most famous native.
Unfortunately, the festivities were overshadowed by the undeniably odd-looking statue of the Portuguese heartthrob. Described by the media as being everything from ‘questionable’ to ‘horrifying’, the bust has sent the internet into a frenzy, with the people of Twitter reacting in the most Twitter way possible — through hilarious memes.
— Martendo Wii (@martinaldo10) March 29, 2017
Some even got creative in Photoshop to drive the humor home.
I don’t know what you’re talking about guys, I think the Ronaldo statue looks pretty good pic.twitter.com/JIUwQBuqUY
— keewa (@keewa) March 29, 2017
Bring on those beautiful mash-ups!
— IngaKorr (@ingakorr) March 30, 2017
While the statue has been getting a lot of flack, this isn’t the first time Ronaldo has dealt with a bizarre statue being made in his likeness, as some users pointed out.
For a very handsome man, Ronaldo has had some appalling luck with statue-makers pic.twitter.com/M74YEDng4c
— Tom Williams (@tomwfootball) March 29, 2017
With the statue receiving so much attention, the sculptor, Emanuel Santos, another Madeira native, felt compelled to defend his work, telling Globo Esporte that “Not even Jesus pleased everyone.” But, for Ronaldo fans who find the statue more horrifying than humorous, there’s still hope for a redo — just ask Scary Lucy.
H/T: The Telegraph
Featured image courtesy of Francisco Leong via Getty Images.
With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 50,000 point sign up bonus, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred® named a 'Best Travel Credit Card' by MONEY® Magazine, 2016-2017
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Earn 5,000 bonus points after you add the first authorized user and make a purchase in the first 3 months from account opening
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel.
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards