Madeira Airport Just Unveiled a Seriously Creepy Bust of Cristiano Ronaldo
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Soccer superstar Cristiano Ronaldo is considered to be a national hero in Madeira, the autonomous island region of Portugal where he was born, so much so that Madeira International Airport (FNC) was recently renamed Cristiano Ronaldo Madeira International Airport in his honor. To help commemorate the occasion, a bronze bust of Ronaldo was unveiled — an event that should have been a buoyant celebration of the island’s most famous native.
Unfortunately, the festivities were overshadowed by the undeniably odd-looking statue of the Portuguese heartthrob. Described by the media as being everything from ‘questionable’ to ‘horrifying’, the bust has sent the internet into a frenzy, with the people of Twitter reacting in the most Twitter way possible — through hilarious memes.
— Martendo Wii (@martinaldo10) March 29, 2017
Some even got creative in Photoshop to drive the humor home.
I don’t know what you’re talking about guys, I think the Ronaldo statue looks pretty good pic.twitter.com/JIUwQBuqUY
— keewa (@keewa) March 29, 2017
Bring on those beautiful mash-ups!
— IngaKorr (@ingakorr) March 30, 2017
While the statue has been getting a lot of flack, this isn’t the first time Ronaldo has dealt with a bizarre statue being made in his likeness, as some users pointed out.
For a very handsome man, Ronaldo has had some appalling luck with statue-makers pic.twitter.com/M74YEDng4c
— Tom Williams (@tomwfootball) March 29, 2017
With the statue receiving so much attention, the sculptor, Emanuel Santos, another Madeira native, felt compelled to defend his work, telling Globo Esporte that “Not even Jesus pleased everyone.” But, for Ronaldo fans who find the statue more horrifying than humorous, there’s still hope for a redo — just ask Scary Lucy.
H/T: The Telegraph
Featured image courtesy of Francisco Leong via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.