Madeira Airport Just Unveiled a Seriously Creepy Bust of Cristiano Ronaldo
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Soccer superstar Cristiano Ronaldo is considered to be a national hero in Madeira, the autonomous island region of Portugal where he was born, so much so that Madeira International Airport (FNC) was recently renamed Cristiano Ronaldo Madeira International Airport in his honor. To help commemorate the occasion, a bronze bust of Ronaldo was unveiled — an event that should have been a buoyant celebration of the island’s most famous native.
Unfortunately, the festivities were overshadowed by the undeniably odd-looking statue of the Portuguese heartthrob. Described by the media as being everything from ‘questionable’ to ‘horrifying’, the bust has sent the internet into a frenzy, with the people of Twitter reacting in the most Twitter way possible — through hilarious memes.
— Martendo Wii (@martinaldo10) March 29, 2017
Some even got creative in Photoshop to drive the humor home.
I don’t know what you’re talking about guys, I think the Ronaldo statue looks pretty good pic.twitter.com/JIUwQBuqUY
— keewa (@keewa) March 29, 2017
Bring on those beautiful mash-ups!
— IngaKorr (@ingakorr) March 30, 2017
While the statue has been getting a lot of flack, this isn’t the first time Ronaldo has dealt with a bizarre statue being made in his likeness, as some users pointed out.
For a very handsome man, Ronaldo has had some appalling luck with statue-makers pic.twitter.com/M74YEDng4c
— Tom Williams (@tomwfootball) March 29, 2017
With the statue receiving so much attention, the sculptor, Emanuel Santos, another Madeira native, felt compelled to defend his work, telling Globo Esporte that “Not even Jesus pleased everyone.” But, for Ronaldo fans who find the statue more horrifying than humorous, there’s still hope for a redo — just ask Scary Lucy.
H/T: The Telegraph
Featured image courtesy of Francisco Leong via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees