Madeira Airport Just Unveiled a Seriously Creepy Bust of Cristiano Ronaldo
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Soccer superstar Cristiano Ronaldo is considered to be a national hero in Madeira, the autonomous island region of Portugal where he was born, so much so that Madeira International Airport (FNC) was recently renamed Cristiano Ronaldo Madeira International Airport in his honor. To help commemorate the occasion, a bronze bust of Ronaldo was unveiled — an event that should have been a buoyant celebration of the island’s most famous native.
Unfortunately, the festivities were overshadowed by the undeniably odd-looking statue of the Portuguese heartthrob. Described by the media as being everything from ‘questionable’ to ‘horrifying’, the bust has sent the internet into a frenzy, with the people of Twitter reacting in the most Twitter way possible — through hilarious memes.
— Martendo Wii (@martinaldo10) March 29, 2017
Some even got creative in Photoshop to drive the humor home.
I don’t know what you’re talking about guys, I think the Ronaldo statue looks pretty good pic.twitter.com/JIUwQBuqUY
— keewa (@keewa) March 29, 2017
Bring on those beautiful mash-ups!
— IngaKorr (@ingakorr) March 30, 2017
While the statue has been getting a lot of flack, this isn’t the first time Ronaldo has dealt with a bizarre statue being made in his likeness, as some users pointed out.
For a very handsome man, Ronaldo has had some appalling luck with statue-makers pic.twitter.com/M74YEDng4c
— Tom Williams (@tomwfootball) March 29, 2017
With the statue receiving so much attention, the sculptor, Emanuel Santos, another Madeira native, felt compelled to defend his work, telling Globo Esporte that “Not even Jesus pleased everyone.” But, for Ronaldo fans who find the statue more horrifying than humorous, there’s still hope for a redo — just ask Scary Lucy.
H/T: The Telegraph
Featured image courtesy of Francisco Leong via Getty Images.
WELCOME OFFER: 30,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: up to $100 annual CLEAR statement credit, up to $100 annual LoungeBuddy statement credit, 3x points on travel and transit, 3x points on restaurants worldwide
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 30,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $2,000 on purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on all eligible travel, from subway swipes and window seats to hotel stays and city tours.
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points at restaurants worldwide.
- Receive up to $100 per year in statement credits when you use the American Express® Green Card to pay for your CLEAR® membership at select airports and stadiums across the U.S. and Permissible Biometric Scanning Technology terms: eye scanning, irises scanning and fingerprints scanning.
- Use the American Express® Green Card to purchase lounge access through LoungeBuddy to any of the lounges in the LoungeBuddy network – no memberships, elite statuses, or first class tickets required. Earn up to $100 in statement credits per calendar year on your LoungeBuddy purchases.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $150 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees