You can now book tickets for a luxury train ride across the American West
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Want to take a scenic ride this summer and discover our nation’s national parks without worrying about fully booked hotels and the ongoing car rental shortage?
Consider a journey with the luxury train operator Rocky Mountaineer, which is preparing to launch its first route in the U.S. in August.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
Tickets are now on sale for one of the most exciting train rides on Earth — the Rockies to the Red Rocks — which traverses the American West from Moab, Utah, to Denver, Colorado, with options to extend your trip in either direction to Las Vegas, Nevada and Salt Lake City, Utah.
You can ride the route as early as Aug. 11 with a seven-night itinerary that starts in Las Vegas and includes a self-drive section with stops at Zion National Park, Bryce Canyon and Lake Powell before boarding the Rocky Mountaineer in Moab.
The classic version of the train ride, however, either starts or ends in Moab with two days on the Rocky Mountaineer and a single overnight at a hotel in Glenwood Springs, Colorado.
Travelers will cross the Continental Divide, get a glimpse of the surreal sandstone arches and rock formations at Arches National Park and enjoy endless Rocky Mountain views. Because the train only travels during the day, you won’t miss any of the scenery when you bed down in a hotel at night.
Guests on board can expect SilverLeaf Service (think: glass-dome coaches and an outdoor viewing area for enjoying the passing views of the Colorado River and Ruby Canyon, among other landmarks) plus attentive hosts who will regale you with stories about the area and gourmet meals inspired by the region. You can also splurge on SilverLeaf Plus service for access to a renovated lounge car, premium alcoholic drinks and additional courses during select meals.
Best of all, you won’t have to deal with any crowds or traffic while riding the rails.
Rockies to the Red Rocks packages start at $1,100 per person when booking two guests, with a discount of $150 per person for August departures celebrating the new route.
A flexible cancellation policy also means you can get a full refund should your plans change, but you must cancel at least 30 days prior to departure. You can also move your travel dates as far out as 2023 or change the names on your reservation, as long as one original name remains.
Make the most of your train trip this summer by booking with a credit card that earns bonus points on travel, such as the Chase Sapphire Reserve and Ink Business Preferred Credit Card, both of which earn 3x on travel (on the first $150,000 spent in combined purchases per account anniversary year on the Ink Business Preferred).
Feature image of Arches National Park courtesy Rocky Mountaineer.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees