Ride Preferences, Higher Driver Standards and More Rolled out in UberBlack Makeover
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here – Citi Premier® Card
Uber’s initial public offering occurred last week and was one of the largest IPOs in the last 10 years. While all the focus has been on billion dollar valuations and the future of the company, Uber is still introducing out new features that will affect everyday riders, including a set of big changes to the ride-hailing company’s premium offering, UberBlack, that it’s rolling out today.
In March, Uber announced a set of improvements to UberBlack that increased the quality of the drivers on the platform and more flexible pickups. Today, Uber is relaunching UberBlack (the company actually started exclusively as a black car hailing app) with even more features and introducing the previously mentioned improvements in new areas.
Riders will now have more control over their ride with the ability to enter ride preferences into the app before pickup. This includes if you’d like to talk to your driver or keep conversation to a minimum, what temperature you’d prefer and if you’ll have any luggage that you’ll need to be placed into the car.
Those who order a black car will also get access to Uber’s premium support line which provides access to “premium support agents” who will provide “enhanced support” in case anything goes wrong. This is likely the same support line those with Uber Gold status have.
Uber’s unveiled more specifics from its March announcement — only drivers with a rating of 4.85 stars or higher will now be able to drive on the UberBlack platform. When ordering a Black car you’ll also have extra time to get to your vehicle before the driver can cancel the ride — 15 minutes instead of the normal five. However, drivers will start the meter after waiting five minutes.
Uber also mentions that it’s implementing new vehicle requirements, and that cars must be “stylish later-model vehicles with extra legroom.” However, the company didn’t share anymore specifics on what exactly that will mean.
The ride-hailing giant says it’s rolling out minimum driver ratings and vehicle eligibility in phases to give time for drivers to adjust to the new requirements.
If you’re even a semi-frequent Uber user, make sure to check out our guide to Uber Rewards, the company’s loyalty program, which provides elite status benefits and points earning. If you’re looking to save even more on your Uber rides in the U.S., The Platinum Card® from American Express offers up to $200 in annual Uber Cash (enrollment required). Both the Chase Sapphire Reserve and Citi Premier® Card offer solid returns on ride-hailing purchases, each earn 3 points per dollar spent on Uber.
Featured image courtesy of Uber.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees