Ride Preferences, Higher Driver Standards and More Rolled out in UberBlack Makeover
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here – Citi Premier® Card
Uber’s initial public offering occurred last week and was one of the largest IPOs in the last 10 years. While all the focus has been on billion dollar valuations and the future of the company, Uber is still introducing out new features that will affect everyday riders, including a set of big changes to the ride-hailing company’s premium offering, UberBlack, that it’s rolling out today.
In March, Uber announced a set of improvements to UberBlack that increased the quality of the drivers on the platform and more flexible pickups. Today, Uber is relaunching UberBlack (the company actually started exclusively as a black car hailing app) with even more features and introducing the previously mentioned improvements in new areas.
Riders will now have more control over their ride with the ability to enter ride preferences into the app before pickup. This includes if you’d like to talk to your driver or keep conversation to a minimum, what temperature you’d prefer and if you’ll have any luggage that you’ll need to be placed into the car.
Those who order a black car will also get access to Uber’s premium support line which provides access to “premium support agents” who will provide “enhanced support” in case anything goes wrong. This is likely the same support line those with Uber Gold status have.
Uber’s unveiled more specifics from its March announcement — only drivers with a rating of 4.85 stars or higher will now be able to drive on the UberBlack platform. When ordering a Black car you’ll also have extra time to get to your vehicle before the driver can cancel the ride — 15 minutes instead of the normal five. However, drivers will start the meter after waiting five minutes.
Uber also mentions that it’s implementing new vehicle requirements, and that cars must be “stylish later-model vehicles with extra legroom.” However, the company didn’t share anymore specifics on what exactly that will mean.
The ride-hailing giant says it’s rolling out minimum driver ratings and vehicle eligibility in phases to give time for drivers to adjust to the new requirements.
If you’re even a semi-frequent Uber user, make sure to check out our guide to Uber Rewards, the company’s loyalty program, which provides elite status benefits and points earning. If you’re looking to save even more on your Uber rides, The Platinum Card® from American Express offers up to $200 in annual Uber credits. Both the Chase Sapphire Reserve and Citi Premier® Card offer solid returns on ride-hailing purchases, each earn 3 points per dollar spent on Uber.
Featured image courtesy of Uber.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.