Lufthansa Group rolls out ‘return flight guarantee’ in Europe starting Thursday
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The guarantee applies for direct bookings made from Thursday (June 25) until the end of August on round-trip itineraries completed by the end of January 2021.
The German company said all passengers – regardless of the fare booked – can take advantage of the guarantee offer. In addition, passengers from Germany, Austria or Switzerland will be returned to their home countries if necessary. Lufthansa’s spokesperson confirmed to TPG that passengers not from those countries will also be “assisted” as long as they hold return tickets.
Passengers on Economy Classic and Business Saver fares will also be offered an “all-round carefree package” insurance package in at no extra cost.
Some features included in the package, offered in conjunction with AXA partners, are:
- Quarantine costs or medical return transport (if the passenger is not able to enter the destination country or if a quarantine becomes required)
- Medical consultation with a German-speaking doctor via video call
- Any additional hotel and transport costs stemming from quarantining
- Cancellation costs for unused hotel stays and excursions
With relaxed border policies in different countries, airlines have generally been waiving change fees on bookings and are emphasizing health and cleaning initiatives to entice travelers into flying again. However, Lufthansa’s latest announcements underscore the need by airlines to institute more flexible ticket strategies as many travelers are still concerned with the uncertainties surrounding coronavirus. No other airline has offered policies similar to those of what Lufthansa has extended.
“We have been talking to many customers in recent weeks in order to better understand the needs but also concerns surrounding travel in times of Corona,” Lufthansa Group Executive Board Member Christina Foerster said in a statement. “With this new and so far unique offer, we want to help ensure that our guests can spend their summer holidays in Europe as carefree as possible.”
The new announcements come after the Lufthansa Group airlines increased summer schedules to regional destinations last month.
Travelers should be aware, however, that these offerings are not yet extended to passengers booked on Brussels Airlines and Eurowings flights. As of now, Lufthansa’s spokesperson has confirmed to TPG that Eurowings “is planning to offer a comparable service,” and Brussles Airlines is currently “evaluating what it can offer its passengers.”
Featured photo by CHRISTOF STACHE/AFP/Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees