Watch TPG UK Review All Four Classes on a Lufthansa Flight to New York
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Lufthansa, Germany’s flag carrier, is a huge player in Europe and serves 20 cities in the US. It’s also famous for its first-class product, including the exclusive First Class Terminal in Frankfurt. The airline is also a relatively reliable play when it comes to award availability; you can often find business- and first-class seats available between the US and Europe.
As Lufthansa is a member of Star Alliance, there are plenty of ways to book award seats, including Avianca’s LifeMiles, Air Canada’s Aeroplan and United’s MileagePlus, all of which we used book this trip.
LifeMiles and Aeroplan are both 1:1 transfer partners with American Express Membership Rewards, which means that if you have a card that earns Membership Rewards points such as The Platinum Card® from American Express, you can easily transfer points into either account to book the flights, once you find award space. Similarly, United MileagePlus is a 1:1 transfer partner of Chase Ultimate Rewards, so it’s easy to come up with United miles if you have the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card or another Ultimate Reward-earning product.
As I mentioned above, we used a variety of programs to book this flight. Here’s exactly how it broke down:
First Class: 87,000 LifeMiles + ~$124
Business Class: 55,000 Aeroplan miles + ~$565
Premium Economy: ~$1,090
Economy: 30,000 MileagePlus miles + ~$80
Premium economy typically does not represent a great value when booking with points, so we chose to pay the almost-$1,100 for the round-trip ticket.
And, finally, how did we decide who flew which class? Well, as AvGeek newbie, TPG UK Social Media Editor Liam Spencer had never flown business or first class before, we thought this would be the perfect opportunity for him to have his first-ever experience — and it’s safe to say that he loved every second. Having flown in first class on his last two all-cabin review flights, TPG UK Director of Content Nicky Kelvin took one for the team and flew in economy. That left premium economy and business class to TPG UK Head of Video Jean Arnas and me. Jean said he wouldn’t mind going in premium if I wanted to go in business. Easily settled.
Check out the full video review of all four classes of service with Lufthansa below!
Featured photo by Liam Spencer / The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees