How I saved nearly $250 on a one-day car rental by taking a $110 Uber ride
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
It’s no secret there’s a massive rental car shortage right now.
So, I can’t say I was completely surprised when I went to book a car back to Philadelphia after visiting family in Dayton, OH, last week and my search on Kayak returned prices starting (starting!) at a whopping $460 for a one-day economy vehicle rental.
I had already been in Ohio for three weeks after a one-week extension thanks to a last-minute opening to get the Johnson & Johnson vaccine and needed to get home, and had too much stuff (re: three weeks’ worth of baked goods from my mom, clean-out-the-closet junk, an overstuffed suitcase and my pup, Ruby) to get on a plane, which probably would have been cheaper.
Want more credit card news and advice from TPG? Sign up for our daily newsletter!
Thus, I began my quest for a way home that wouldn’t set me back almost $500.
Securing a car out of Dayton was out of the question. One-way rentals — available only at the Dayton International Airport (DAY) — were too astronomically priced to justify a mere eight hours of use. I figured I might have better luck in a larger market so I shifted my focus to the next closest major city that would take me in the same direction as my final destination — Columbus, OH. Sure enough, cars were pricing out for a fraction of the cost. And by fraction, I mean only $120 — $340 cheaper than the options in Dayton.
But before I could book I had to solve for one last issue: how to get the 70+ miles from my mom’s house to the rental office in downtown Columbus. Despite the distance, I priced out an Uber out of curiosity and found my solution. The fare was only $95 after applying the up to $15 monthly Uber credit from The Platinum Card® from American Express (enrollment required for benefit). Plus a $20 tip for the driver that I paid for with the twenty my mom slipped me on the way out (thanks, Mom!).
That meant instead of spending $460 for a one-way rental out of Dayton I was able to reserve a car for only $120 out of Columbus, plus $95 for the Uber to get there, saving me $245 in the end. Not bad if you’re willing to do a little schlepping.
The rental car shortage is very real, especially if you are starting from a limited market like I was and don’t have much flexibility in terms of dates and/or are making a close-in reservation.
That said, there are workarounds if you’re willing to get creative. Consider larger markets nearby, and using alternative modes of transportation, such as Uber, to get there. Dig into your credit card perks for any tools that will help keep costs down, and always remember to use a card that offers rental protection to book.
Photo by Jeffrey Greenberg/Universal Images Group via Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees