Reno Airport unveils new push to spread joy just in time for National Compliment Day
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Beyond Wi-Fi and generous squirts of hand sanitizer, there’s aren’t that many useful or life-enhancing things you can get for free at airports anymore.
But on Monday, Jan. 24, 2022, travelers passing through Reno-Tahoe International Airport (RNO) will be showered with free compliments in honor of National Compliment Day.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
RNO’s “Kindness Take Flight” team, which works hard to spread joy in the airport year-round, will go into overdrive on Monday to dispense free compliments from a special kiosk set up in the airport’s main lobby.
Starting at 9 a.m., the team will deliver compliments such as “That color is perfect for you,” “I bet you sweat glitter,” and “You are glowing,” to passengers, meters and greeters, and airport employees. The nice-fest will continue “until the complement of compliments are exhausted,” says airport spokeswoman Annie Turner.
For those who would like to take their compliments, such as “Your smile is contagious” or “You’re more fun than bubble wrap” with them, RNO has also prepared flyers with tear-off compliments. Passengers and employees will find these posted at airports stores, restaurants, airline and rental car counters, and at the security checkpoints.
“We need positivity now more than ever,” says Turner, who encourages travelers to snap photos of the compliments booth and the compliments they see posted around the airport on social media using the @renoairport and #NationalComplimentDay tags.
The last time RNO hosted a free compliment kiosk was in 2014 and back then the charming and talented staff dispensed kind words to passengers about everything from their smart choice of eyeglass to their strong strides.
“One man appeared very stressed and quickly passed by the booth with a serious, determined look,” one Kindness Team member remembers, “And the compliment given to him was, ‘My you have a very strong gait.’ He stopped dead in his tracks, looked back, and smiled.”
While National Compliment Day is an offbeat, unofficial holiday first celebrated in 1998, there are serious benefits for travelers who make the effort to both give and receive compliments anytime, says Michelle Rozen, a motivational speaker who calls herself the Change Doctor.
“Getting into the habit of giving genuine compliments to other people around us helps tremendously with the stress of traveling and with your stress in general,” she told TPG.
“When you get a genuine compliment from someone, your blood pressure decreases because your body produces hormones that relieve your stress and anxiety. That makes sense because when someone compliments you, they make you feel good about yourself and as a result, your stress level decreases.”
Rozen says there’s also scientific research that confirms that smiling and complimenting others can significantly improve your well-being as well. “Compliments benefit the giver of the compliments just as much. Because adopting the habit of giving compliments helps you notice and appreciate what’s good and helps you develop a positive mindset.”
We’re confident that you, being the smart, savvy, and experienced traveler that you are, will have no trouble thinking of some very nice compliments to dispense to those around you on National Compliment Day. But in case you need a few more, here are some additional compliments from Reno Tahoe International Airport’s free compliment starter kit:
- I bet you make babies smile.
- Everything would be better if there were more people like you.
- Who raised you? They deserve a medal for a job well done.
- On a scale of one to ten, you’re an 11.
- You have a spring in your step that is brightening my day.
Featured image by of Gchapel/Shutterstock.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees