You could soon redeem miles for flights to space — here’s how
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
If you’re feeling left out of the billionaire space race and have 2 million Flying Club points lying around, you might soon have your own shot at floating in a small vessel 300,000 feet above Earth. Virgin Atlantic is offering Flying Club members a chance to redeem miles for space travel.
The catch, of course, is that commercial space travel isn’t available yet. Instead of booking a seat outright like you would with an airline, you’re entering a drawing to win a trip to space with Virgin Galactic once commercial flights launch.
The points won’t be deducted from your account unless you win. So really, there’s no harm in entering if you want to do this in the future and have the points ready to go.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
The terms have a few important exceptions that are worth noting:
Only points earned on Virgin Atlantic Airways flights qualify for eligibility into the draw and may be used for Virgin Galactic flights.
Points cannot be merged or transferred from other member accounts.
Points earned through supplementary Silver Flying Club accounts and/or Family accounts may not be used towards the Virgin Galactic redemption.
A Virgin Galactic flight may only be booked for the Flying Club card holder who has earned the relevant points and not on behalf of or for another individual.
To enter for a chance to win a future flight to space, you’ll need to … call Virgin Atlantic at 0344 874 7747.
Two million points is a lot any way you slice it, but considering the flight is just two hours long, it’s going to be tough to justify for many people.
Luckily, the grand prize goes beyond that. You get a three-day experience that includes flight preparation, along with a two-hour space flight with at least five minutes of weightlessness.
Is it worth it?
If you’re a space geek, this three-day experience culminating in a trip to space might well be worth 2 million points (assuming you win the drawing). Flying into space will be a once-in-a-lifetime experience for most people. The novelty of saying you were on one of the first commercial flights to space alone might be worth the splurge.
That being said, by redeeming 2 million points for a trip to space, you will give up a lot of other travel opportunities. For example, you can book a one-week trip to Necker Island for two for 1.5 million points.
Alternatively, you can save up your points for a round-trip business-class ticket from the West Coast to Japan for just 90,000 miles. If you’re looking forward to a trip to the U.K., you can redeem as few as 20,000 miles for a round-trip ticket from the Northeast.
If you want the most bang for your buck, space travel isn’t the most practical way to redeem your points. But if you want to put your points toward a fun experience, it pretty much tops them all.
Featured photo of Virgin Spaceship Unity courtesy of Virgin Galactic.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees