This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Feeling fancy? Virgin Atlantic miles burning a hole in your metaphorical pocket? If you’re looking for a brag-worthy destination in 2019, a seven-night Celebration Week package on Sir Richard Branson’s private Caribbean island is once again bookable using Virgin Atlantic miles.
The experience on Necker Island is one-of-a-kind. This private, 74-acre oasis just north of Virgin Gorda and east of Puerto Rico is in close proximity to many major Caribbean islands: The closest international airport is Tortola (EIS), just a quick half-hour flight from San Juan (SJU). Other options include flights from Antigua (ANU), private helicopter transfers from Tortola, Virgin Gorda and St. Thomas and private launch from Tortola and Virgin Gorda.
Each Celebration Week all-inclusive package includes the following for two adults over a seven-night stay:
- Accommodations for two
- Dedicated waitstaff team
- All meals and drinks across the island, including alcoholic beverages
- Return launch transfer from Virgin Gorda (VIJ) or Beef Island (EIS) airports
- Access to two freshwater infinity pools and a beachfront hot tub
- Access to two floodlit tennis courts
- Water sports equipment for windsurfing, kite surfing, water skiing, sailing, snorkeling and SCUBA gear
- Disco DJ
- Wireless internet throughout the island
- 10% BVI accommodation tax
- A patio view of Necker Island
- View from the Great House bedroom balcony
Note that you are still on the hook for traveling to either Virgin Gorda or Beef Island airports for pickup and dropoff from the island.
Per a Virgin Limited Edition travel agent who spoke with TPG at the time of this post, there are two weeks in 2019 that are currently available to book with miles: three seven-night slots over January 6, and one seven-night slot available for September 21. The current rules require that visitors must have Virgin Atlantic Silver or Gold status; however, you may be able to status-match to Virgin Atlantic from another airline or hotel program. Booking with miles is only available by calling an agent directly.
At current TPG valuations of 1.5 cents per Virgin Atlantic mile, 1.2 million miles is worth $18,000. The seven-night price on the website for booking the Great House, on the other hand, is a cool $35,000 — meaning you’ll be able to score a nearly 50% discount on the MSRP for the experience.
Don’t have that many miles sitting in your Virgin Atlantic Flying Club account? You can instantaneously transfer American Express Membership Rewards, Chase Ultimate Rewards and Citi ThankYou points to Virgin Atlantic, all at a 1:1 ratio. You can also earn miles from Virgin Atlantic airline partners: Delta, Singapore Airlines, Air New Zealand, Virgin Australia, South African Airways, ANA, Jet Airways, Air China, Hawaiian Airlines and SAS. Several hotel partners also allow point transfers to Virgin Atlantic, including Hilton Honors, Marriott Rewards, World of Hyatt, IHG Rewards Club, World Hotel, EDITION, Virgin Hotels and Best Western.
H/T: Frequent Miler
Featured photo courtesy of Necker Island.
With some great bonus categories, the American Express Gold Card has a lot going for it. The card offers 4x points at US restaurants, at US supermarkets (up to $25,000; then 1x), and 3x points on flights booked directly with airlines or through amextravel.com. It is currently offering a welcome bonus of 35,000 bonus points after you spend $2,000 in the first three months.
- Earn 35,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $2,000 on eligible purchases with your new Card within the first 3 months.
- Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. restaurants. Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $25,000 per year in purchases, then 1X).
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or on amextravel.com.
- Earn up to $10 in statement credits monthly when you pay with The Gold Card at Grubhub, Seamless, The Cheesecake Factory, Shake Shack, and Ruth's Chris Steak House. This is an annual savings of up to $120. Enrollment required.
- $100 Airline Fee Credit: up to $100 in statement credits per calendar year for incidental fees at one selected qualifying airline.
- Choose to carry a balance with interest on eligible charges of $100 or more.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- Annual Fee is $250.
- Terms apply.
- See Rates & Fees