You can use miles to book a stay on Sir Richard Branson’s private island
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Necker Island, Sir Richard Branson’s private escape in the British Virgin Islands that last year was offered as collateral to save Virgin Group, is back open and ready for guests.
The 74-acre private island oasis north of Virgin Gorda and east of Puerto Rico recently reopened following the reopening of the BVI’s borders as well as a renovation project that included the restoration and expansion of the resort’s Great House and the addition of another Balinese-style house on the island called Leha Lo.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
The resort now sleeps 40 people across 15 total rooms: 11 in the Great House and four standalone villas. Each of the bedrooms in the Great House features a balcony, king-size beds and en-suite bathrooms. The master suite located on the upper level comes with a private outdoor Jacuzzi and sun deck, and there’s even a bunk room that sleeps up to six children.
Across the island, you’ll find stunning infinity pools, serene relaxation spaces, bars galore, numerous elegant dining spaces, lawn games, tennis courts, a hot tub directly on the beach with space for 30 people and so much more.
The island’s team is more than happy to arrange an endless list of activities for guests, including kitesurfing, sailing, paddleboarding, kayaking, snorkeling, scuba diving, yoga, tennis, spa treatments, daytime excursions to nearby islands and, of course, epic parties by night.
A Greener Island
During its closure, Necker also took the opportunity to go all-in on sustainability. The island installed three wind turbines that work together with an existing solar farm to allow the complex to run on 90% renewable energy every day. And, the island staff now have uniforms made from recycled plastic from the ocean.
The island has a seafood-sourcing policy that guarantees all fish served on the island are sourced sustainably, and chefs work directly with food suppliers to make sure that all animal products served come from humane and antibiotic-free sources.
Booking Necker Island
Typically, you have to rent the entire island, but from time to time Virgin Limited Edition makes certain “Celebration Weeks” available, during which you can book an individual room (you can view the available 2021 weeks here). And, these are the ones you can book with miles — a whole lot of them.
Each Celebration Week all-inclusive package includes the following for two adults over a seven-night stay:
- All meals and drinks (including all alcoholic beverages) — served in a variety of locations
- Return launch transfer from Virgin Gorda or Beef Island airports
- Dedicated waitstaff team
- Two freshwater infinity pools and a hot tub on the beach
- Two tennis courts
- Water sports equipment for windsurfing, kite-surfing, water-skiing, sailing, snorkeling, scuba diving and more
- DJ for one night
- Wireless internet throughout the island
- BVI accommodation tax
If you want to book a Celebration Week with miles, you’ll need to commit to a seven-night stay, and it will cost you 1.5 million Flying Club miles for a room in the Great House. At current TPG valuations of 1.5 cents per Virgin Atlantic mile, that’s worth $22,500. Considering you could pay up to $8,000 per night for a room, you’ll get a tremendous value for your miles.
Miles bookings are currently restricted to those who have Virgin Atlantic Silver or Gold status; however, you may be able to status match to Virgin Atlantic from another airline or hotel program. And, thankfully, you can instantaneously transfer American Express Membership Rewards, Chase Ultimate Rewards and Citi ThankYou points to Virgin Atlantic, all at a 1-to-1 ratio. Booking with miles is only available by calling an agent directly.
After being offered as collateral in a bid to save Virgin Group from collapse, closure due to hurricane damage and being cut off from most travelers thanks to coronavirus-related border closures, Necker Island is back and better than ever.
While there aren’t many people who could afford to rent out the entire island, the ability to use miles for a weeklong stay makes this over-the-top private-island escape an ideal — and relatively more accessible — place to get away from everyone and everything.
Featured photo courtesy of Virgin Limited Edition
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees