This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
‘Tis the season for year-end status promotions. Hot on the heels of Emirates’ latest promo is Qatar Airways, which has launched a mileage earning promotion that may have you thinking twice about your Middle Eastern carrier of choice. New Privilege Club members can sign up for an account and register for this promo in order to earn 10,000 bonus Qmiles in Premium Class or 5,000 bonus Qmiles in Economy Class upon your first flight.
To snag the bonus miles, you’ll need to register at qmiles.com by March 31, 2019, and use enrollment code AMEPC2018. Given how severely Qatar devalued its mileage currency earlier this year, the real perk of this promotion is the fast track option. If you earn 100 Qpoints on flights taken between Nov. 20, 2018, and May 31, 2019, you’ll be instantly upgraded to Silver; if you fly enough to earn 200 Qpoints, Gold status awaits. (Silver typically requires 150 Qpoints, while Gold demands 300 Qpoints.)
Even if you aren’t in a position to fly much on Qatar Airways, you can still earn Qpoints by flying on Oneworld partners like American Airlines, British Airways or Cathay Pacific and crediting your earnings to your Privilege Club account. If you’re unfamiliar with the program, Qatar provides a handy Qcalculator (yeah, that’s the actual name) to help you determine how many Qpoints you can earn for a flight you’re eying.
Given that Qatar is a Oneworld member, what’s apt to be more alluring here for US-based flyers is the matching Oneworld status. If you fly one or two business-class flights and earn Gold status with Qatar, that’ll be matched to Oneworld Sapphire. Even if you only grab Silver with Qatar, that nets you Oneworld Ruby.
Oneworld Sapphire status will net you benefits across its 13 member airlines like priority check-in and standby, extra baggage allowance, access to preferred or pre-reserved seating and access to more than 650 airport lounges (with one guest) when traveling internationally.
H/T: Doctor of Credit
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees