Qantas Will Fly Its A380 to Orlando in January 2020
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The most magical place on earth deserves an equally magical mode of transportation, and for a few (hundred) lucky travelers flying from Los Angeles (LAX) to Orlando (MCO) in January 2020, that will take the form of a Qantas A380. Twitter account @Airlinerroute is reporting that Qantas will be flying a one-time A380 service from Sydney to LAX to Orlando on Jan. 19, 2020, returning on Jan. 24.
At the moment, this flight does not appear to be bookable online, and for the LAX to Orlando leg of the flight, Qantas does not have the right to carry passengers. For example, Qantas flies a daily nonstop between Los Angeles and New York as part of its daily Sydney to JFK service , but the LAX-JFK flight cannot be booked separately as Qantas does not have so-called fifth-freedom rights in the US.
So is Qantas looking to launch its longest flight to Orlando? Probably not, or at least not yet. It’s much more likely given the leisure demand in Orlando that Qantas has a charter customer for its A380 and is using this one-time flight to position the plane. When Qantas announced its points plane, an entire A380 flight bookable using points and miles, it was also positioning the aircraft around a charter service.
Still, we can’t rule out the possibility that Qantas is exploring a more permanent route to Orlando. Qantas has been actively working on “project sunrise,” its ambitious plan to launch nonstop flights from Australia to New York and London. Sydney to Orlando clocks in at 9,346 miles, about 200 miles shorter than the world’s longest flight between Singapore and Newark. This route would be just out of the published range of the Boeing 787-9 that Qantas uses for its longest flights. There’s also the fact that if Qantas were exploring the viability of service to Orlando, a one-off flight using its 484-seat A380 might not be the best way to test this new route.
TPG has reached out to Qantas for comment but hasn’t heard back at the time of publication. We’ll update this post with additional information.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees