Qantas Nixes Plan for Bunk Beds, Gym on Ultra-Long-Haul ‘Project Sunrise’ Flights
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Bunk beds for economy passengers and a gym in the cargo hold? It seemed like an innovation too good to be true, and it turns out it was.
Qantas CEO Alan Joyce confirmed that for the airline’s hopeful launch (by 2022) of extreme long-haul flights from Australia to London and New York, those grand plans will never come to fruition, Australian news site Traveller.com.au reports.
The airline originally floated the idea in March 2018 for its future ultra-long-haul flights. But as executives worked through some of the financial calculations, Joyce found that “putting stuff in the baggage hold … doesn’t work,” he said to Traveller.com.au. In addition to the potential gym and bunk beds, Qantas was exploring the possibility of children’s play areas, office space or a bar inside the cargo hold to help relieve passengers’ restlessness on the approximately 21-hour flights.
Instead, Joyce says that the nearly day-long nonstop flights from Melbourne and Sydney, dubbed “Project Sunrise,” could feature a wellness space for passengers to stretch their legs. “We are, on the aircraft, looking at a zone that we’re calling the ‘fourth zone,’ for people to stretch and exercise and hydrate,” he said. “And that will be part of the product that we use to launch.”
Qantas is currently in the process of taking bids from Boeing and Airbus on planes for the flights, which are projected to launch by 2022 and would become the longest nonstop routes in the world. The Australian carrier will choose between Airbus’ A350 and Boeing’s 777X.
Although the planes haven’t been selected yet, nor have the cabin designs been revealed, Qantas says the aircraft will be outfitted with four different cabin class: first, business, premium economy and economy.
Featured image by Scott Barbour/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees