President Biden celebrates 50 years of Amtrak with $80 billion infrastructure push
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
“Amtrak Joe,” also known as President Joe Biden, is in Philadelphia right now where he just finished speaking at Amtrak’s 30th Street Station. The president is pushing his massive $1.9 trillion infrastructure plan which includes some $80 billion in funding for the nation’s train systems.
President Biden is proposing spending $10 billion a year on passenger rail and freight improvements including new high-speed train cars, repairing train tracks, improving and expanding tunnels, and putting in new rails across the country.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
The president is also helping celebrate the 50th anniversary of Amtrak. “It’s an honor to celebrate Amtrak’s 50th anniversary. I look forward to a bright future for all American rail,” he said.
The president continued, “We have a once-in-a-generation opportunity to position Amtrak — and rail in general — to play a central role in our transportation and economic future. To make the investments that can help get America back on track. No pun intended.”
Biden pointed out he helped get federal loans to allow Amtrak to purchase new Acela trains. Those trains are made in America. He also said he protected Amtrak from funding cuts for years.
The president said when it comes to rail America is “behind the curve”, but he suggested we could catch up with enough investment. President Biden said:
“Imagine a two hour train ride between Atlanta and Charlotte, going at speeds of 220 miles an hour, a two and half hour trip between Chicago and Detroit or faster and more regular trips between Los Angeles and Las Vegas, a route that I imagine could be pretty popular on Fridays.”
He also talked about all the possibilities for inter-city rail on routes like Milwaukee to Green Bay to Madison or Scranton to Allentown to New York. He suggested there are some 160 potential new rail connections.
Related: The major push for high-speed rail
Biden said a newspaper journalist had once reported that Biden had “taken more than 7,000 roundtrips on Amtrak” during his career. “I think that’s an exaggeration,” Biden added. It might not be. His love for commuting via Amtrak and passenger rail is no secret. During his many years in the U.S. Senate, he would commute via Amtrak between Delaware and Washington. Biden said, “Amtrak had become my family.”
During the 2020 campaign, Biden said he, “will make sure that America has the cleanest, safest, and fastest rail system in the world — for both passengers and freight.”
That’s also a priority for Biden’s Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigieg who told TPG back in February:
“.. an American citizen should have nothing to envy from a Japanese or Chinese or for that matter, an Italian or Turkish citizen when it comes to the opportunities for them to travel quickly where they need to be, and safely on passenger rail.”
You can watch all of the president’s comments here.
And Amtrak has a sale on now for 50% off many fares. Check that out here.
Featured image of President Joe Biden delivering remarks at an event marking Amtrak’s 50th Anniversary at the 30th Street Station in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania on April 30, 2021. (Photo by OLIVIER DOULIERY/AFP via Getty Images)
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees