Here Are Photos of Amtrak’s New Acela Trains Being Built
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Amtrak just released photos of the new high-speed Acela trains, currently being built at the Alstom factory in Hornell, New York. The new trains have been in development for a few years now, and they will be entering service on the Northeast Corridor in 2021. The 28 new trainsets will be faster, cutting ride times and offer even more amenities, from the seats to the food service. The Acela, the fastest train in service in the US, currently has a top speed of 150 mph, while the new one will be able to reach 160, according to Amtrak.
Like the current Acela, the new one is a tilting train, leaning into curves so that existing lines can be used at faster speeds than normal trains, without the need to build dedicated high-speed lines. (Trains on high-speed lines are decidely faster; for example, Japan’s bullet trains reach 200 mph.)
Here is a taste of what passengers between Boston and Washington can expect to see in the coming years:
Amtrak already has an advance seat reservation system on the Acela fleet. However, it’s only used in first class. On the Next-Gen Acela, passengers will have to reserve their seats in advance throughout the entire train, not just in first. There will also be an open overhead luggage compartment, unlike the overhead bins on current Acelas, which resemble airplane bins.
Are you one of those flyers who just stare at the inflight map? Good news for you: the new trains will have something like it, with screens in each car displaying updated location, train speed and conductor announcements. The trains will also include a “cutting-edge” safety system that will monitor each ride in real time, Amtrak said.
Amtrak is also factoring in accessibility features into their design for people with disabilities. In the new Acelas the bathrooms will be ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act)-compliant in every car, featuring a 60-inch diameter turning radius for people who use wheelchairs.
There will also be new interior safety details including seatback handles to aid customers walking through the train, grab bars for stability, gap fillers for space between the train and the platform and a smooth surface for entering and exiting the train.
Featured image courtesy of Amtrak.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees