Peru waives quarantine requirements — here’s what you need to know
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The ongoing pandemic has ravaged destinations around the world, and few countries have been hit as hard as Peru.
But in a move that signals the restart of tourism to the South American nation, travelers will no longer have to quarantine upon arrival, according to an update from the U.S. Embassy in Peru.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
The 14-day quarantine required upon entry to Peru may be lifted under certain conditions. Travelers arriving in Peru on international flights still must have a negative COVID-19 PCR test taken less than 72 hours before arrival, regardless of vaccination status.
The country is also lifting its ban on most flights longer than eight hours, which will further boost travel to Peru.
Related: Country-by-country reopening guide
At this time, nonresident passengers from Brazil, South Africa and the United Kingdom will not be allowed to enter until at least March 28, 2021, and that includes transit passengers.
Last fall, Peruvian President Martin Vizcarra announced that international flights would resume with the implementation of Phase 4 of the country’s economic reactivation plan.
Lima has been moved from an “Extreme” to “Very High” alert, which lessens movement restrictions, but some provinces are still considered extreme.”
Under the “extreme” designation, there is a curfew from 9 p.m. to 4 a.m., private vehicles are prohibited on Sundays and many public spaces such as gyms and clubs are closed. Under the “very high” designation, public spaces including shopping centers, cinemas, tourist areas, places of worship, casinos, gyms and clubs all operate at reduced capacity.
Machu Picchu reopened to visitors on March 1, 2021, but is operating at only 40% of its total capacity.
According to the U.S. Embassy, travelers from the United States will not be barred from entering. However, as is the case with traveling anywhere during the pandemic, regulations may change at any time.
Featured photo by jimfeng/Getty Images.
Additional reporting by Vikkie Walker.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees