After 15 Months, Pearl Harbor Memorial Will Reopen This Weekend
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The USS Arizona Memorial at Pearl Harbor will reopen Sunday, Sept. 1, after a 15-month restoration.
The memorial has been closed to public foot traffic since May 2018, when damage from exceptionally high tides in 2017 required repairs of more than $2.1 million.
The USS Arizona sunk on Dec. 7, 1941, after a surprise attack by Japanese bombers killed 1,177 crew members on the ship. More than 330 crew members survived, but approximately 900 sailors and Marines remain entombed in the ship.
Considered one of the top tourist attractions in the country, the Arizona memorial is located on the southern end of Oahu in Hawaii, and can only be accessed by boat from the Pearl Harbor Visitor Center. The visitor center is accessible to the public and admission is free, but mandatory time-stamped tickets are available on a first-come, first-served walk-in basis. Tickets can also be reserved online up to 60 days in advance.
Visitors will experience an approximately 75 minute-long tour that includes a 23-minute documentary on the history of Pearl Harbor, as well as a short boat ride to and from the memorial.
The Arizona memorial is part of the World War II Valor in the Pacific National Monument; the monument has additional sites in the Alaskan Aleutian Islands as well as California’s Tule Lake Unit.
If you’ve never been to Hawaii, this is a great time to consider planning a visit. The memorial’s reopening coincides nicely with a slew of recent sale fares to Hawaii. Southwest has been offering low fares both from the mainland to Hawaii as well as intra-island flights starting from as low as $49 one-way. Rare lie-flat seats from New York City to Hawaii were available for this weekend, from just 12,500 Turkish miles one-way. And United has been offering discounted fares for elite and cardholder MileagePlus members of late: This week, round-trip fares from the mainland to Hawaii began at just 25,000 miles.
Featured photo by Sean Davey / Auroroa Photos / Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees