Deal Alert: Southwest Sale With Flights From $39 One-Way
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
Isn’t it fitting how Turks and Caicos airport code is PLS? Like, yes PL(ea)S(e) take me to Turks and Caicos.
Well, if you’re like us and this is a vacation you’d love to take, then you’re in luck, because Southwest’s current sale features plenty of low-fare availability to the island starting at $74 one-way from Ft. Lauderdale (FLL). If that’s not your home airport, you might even be able to snag a cheap positioning flight from the sale.
The current sale has one-way flights starting as low as $39 round-trip, and some routes are even cheaper than they’re being advertised on the sale page, so be sure to take a closer look for your desired airports and travel dates.
In order to seal the deal, you must book before midnight Pacific Standard Time on August 29. Not all routes are included, but nearly every mainland US city has at least one good deal. Unfortunately, flights from the continental US to the Hawaiian Islands are not part of the sale, but inter-island flights are. So if you already have a Hawaii trip planned, this sale could allow you to do some island hopping at a lower price.
All fares are nonrefundable, although Southwest does allow you to cancel without penalty — which will get you a nonrefundable travel credit toward a future flight within one year of the original purchase date. And if you’ve already made a reservation through Southwest and later find that the price of the ticket has decreased, you can request the difference in fare with no change fees. Also remember that Southwest award redemptions are tied to the ticket’s price, so this is a prime opportunity to use Southwest miles for a cheap trip. You can transfer Chase Ultimate Rewards points to Southwest instantly at a 1:1 ratio.
If you’re a Southwest fan and are working towards getting the coveted Companion Pass, you may want to consider one of the following credit cards, since the welcome bonus on any of them will count towards the 125,000 points needed to attain this amazing perk. However, you’ll want to read our story on the best time to start pursuing the Companion Pass, since you can potentially have the perk for two calendar years.
Currently, Southwest is offering welcome bonuses on the following cards:
40 point Welcome Bonus. Earn 40,000 points after spending $1,000 on purchases in the first 3 months account is open. Plus, earn an additional 35,000 points after spending $5,000 on purchases in the first 6 months account is open.
- Southwest Rapid Rewards Plus Credit Card
- Southwest Rapid Rewards Premier Credit Card
- Southwest Rapid Rewards Priority Credit Card
70,000 point Welcome Bonus: Earn 70,000 points after you spend $5,000 on purchases in the first 3 months.
- Southwest Rapid Rewards Performance business card
Here are few of the stand-out fares. However, there are quite a few options, so be sure to take a look for yourself and see if any of the deals fit your travel plans.
Routes: Domestic routes and international routes
Cost: From $39+ one-way
Travel Dates: Domestic travel valid 9/17/19 – 3/4/20; Interisland Hawaii travel valid 9/17/19 – 3/4/20; fights to/from Puerto Rico valid 9/17/19 – 12/5/19 and 1/13/20-3/5/20; International travel valid 9/17/19 – 12/11/19 and 1/7/20-3/5/20
Pay With: The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on airfare booked directly with the airline), Citi Prestige® Card (5x on airfare), Citi Premier® Card, Chase Sapphire Reserve, (3x on airfare), American Express® Gold Card (3x on airfare booked directly with the airline) or Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on travel)
Booking Link: Southwest.com
Honolulu (HNL) to Kona (KOA) for $39 one-way:
Long Beach (LGB) to Sacramento (SMF) for $49 one-way:
Ft. Lauderdale (FLL) to Turks and Caicos (PLS) for $74 one-way:
Atlanta (ATL) to St. Louis (STL) for $79 one-way:
New York-LaGuardia (LGA) to Atlanta (ATL) for $79 one-way:
St. Louis (STL) to Nassau (NAS) for $132 one-way:
Chicago-Midway (MDW) to Turks and Caicos (PLS) for $155 one-way:
Maximize Your Purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Citi Prestige Card (5x on airfare), Chase Sapphire Reserve, American Express® Gold Card, Citi Premier® Card (3x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
Featured photo by waterotter / Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.