At Least 73 People Fell Sick on a Cruise Ship in Alaska
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The US Centers for Disease Control is helping to investigate an outbreak of vomiting and diarrhea aboard a cruise ship in Alaska.
At least 73 people have reported becoming sick with a stomach bug while on the Holland America cruise ship Zaandam, which set sail on June 18 and is due to stop in various Alaskan ports before finally docking in Seattle on July 2.
The CDC reports that the causative agent of the sickness is still unknown, although it sounds a lot like a potential norovirus outbreak.
Norovirus is a highly contagious illness that causes vomiting and diarrhea and is a common ailment among travelers. According to the CDC, the virus is commonly spread in confined spaces and through food — making cruise ships a hot spot for the bug. But, it can even spread in hotels or on planes, as was the case when multiple flight attendants got a nasty case of norovirus in 2009.
Holland America’s Zaandam ship can hold 2,000 passengers and crew. The ship’s crew has been consulting with the CDC on disinfecting practices on board, as well as gastrointestinal illness testing.
The outbreak on Zaandam is the sixth such outbreak to occur on a cruise ship in 2018, according to the CDC’s numbers.
H/T: Associated Press
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees