This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The US Centers for Disease Control is helping to investigate an outbreak of vomiting and diarrhea aboard a cruise ship in Alaska.
At least 73 people have reported becoming sick with a stomach bug while on the Holland America cruise ship Zaandam, which set sail on June 18 and is due to stop in various Alaskan ports before finally docking in Seattle on July 2.
The CDC reports that the causative agent of the sickness is still unknown, although it sounds a lot like a potential norovirus outbreak.
Norovirus is a highly contagious illness that causes vomiting and diarrhea and is a common ailment among travelers. According to the CDC, the virus is commonly spread in confined spaces and through food — making cruise ships a hot spot for the bug. But, it can even spread in hotels or on planes, as was the case when multiple flight attendants got a nasty case of norovirus in 2009.
Holland America’s Zaandam ship can hold 2,000 passengers and crew. The ship’s crew has been consulting with the CDC on disinfecting practices on board, as well as gastrointestinal illness testing.
The outbreak on Zaandam is the sixth such outbreak to occur on a cruise ship in 2018, according to the CDC’s numbers.
H/T: Associated Press
With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 50,000 point sign up bonus, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred® named a 'Best Travel Credit Card' by MONEY® Magazine, 2016-2017
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Earn 5,000 bonus points after you add the first authorized user and make a purchase in the first 3 months from account opening
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel.
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards