This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The US Centers for Disease Control is helping to investigate an outbreak of vomiting and diarrhea aboard a cruise ship in Alaska.
At least 73 people have reported becoming sick with a stomach bug while on the Holland America cruise ship Zaandam, which set sail on June 18 and is due to stop in various Alaskan ports before finally docking in Seattle on July 2.
The CDC reports that the causative agent of the sickness is still unknown, although it sounds a lot like a potential norovirus outbreak.
Norovirus is a highly contagious illness that causes vomiting and diarrhea and is a common ailment among travelers. According to the CDC, the virus is commonly spread in confined spaces and through food — making cruise ships a hot spot for the bug. But, it can even spread in hotels or on planes, as was the case when multiple flight attendants got a nasty case of norovirus in 2009.
Holland America’s Zaandam ship can hold 2,000 passengers and crew. The ship’s crew has been consulting with the CDC on disinfecting practices on board, as well as gastrointestinal illness testing.
The outbreak on Zaandam is the sixth such outbreak to occur on a cruise ship in 2018, according to the CDC’s numbers.
H/T: Associated Press
The American Express Platinum card has some of the best perks out there: cardholders enjoy the best domestic lounge access (Delta SkyClubs, Centurion Lounges, and Priority Pass), a $200 annual airline fee credit as well as up to $200 in Uber credits, and mid-tier elite status at SPG, Marriott, and Hilton. Combined with the 60,000 point welcome offer -- worth $1,140 based on TPG's valuations -- this card is a no-brainer for frequent travelers. Here are 5 reasons you should consider this card, as well as how you can figure out if the $550 annual fee makes sense for you.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees