At Least 73 People Fell Sick on a Cruise Ship in Alaska
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The US Centers for Disease Control is helping to investigate an outbreak of vomiting and diarrhea aboard a cruise ship in Alaska.
At least 73 people have reported becoming sick with a stomach bug while on the Holland America cruise ship Zaandam, which set sail on June 18 and is due to stop in various Alaskan ports before finally docking in Seattle on July 2.
The CDC reports that the causative agent of the sickness is still unknown, although it sounds a lot like a potential norovirus outbreak.
Norovirus is a highly contagious illness that causes vomiting and diarrhea and is a common ailment among travelers. According to the CDC, the virus is commonly spread in confined spaces and through food — making cruise ships a hot spot for the bug. But, it can even spread in hotels or on planes, as was the case when multiple flight attendants got a nasty case of norovirus in 2009.
Holland America’s Zaandam ship can hold 2,000 passengers and crew. The ship’s crew has been consulting with the CDC on disinfecting practices on board, as well as gastrointestinal illness testing.
The outbreak on Zaandam is the sixth such outbreak to occur on a cruise ship in 2018, according to the CDC’s numbers.
H/T: Associated Press
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.