Paris Tourist Sites Including Eiffel Tower Closed This Weekend as Protests Roil City of Light
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Dozens of popular tourist sites and museums across Paris, including the Eiffel Tower and the Louvre, will be closed this weekend as violent protests continue to roil the City of Light for a fourth week.
Officials said Thursday that the so-called “yellow vest” protests — widespread demonstrations against new fuel taxes — will shutter popular museums and attractions. In addition to the Louvre and the Eiffel Tower, the Orsay museum, the city’s two operas and the Grand Palais will go dark to all visitors beginning Saturday.
“We cannot take the risk when we know the threat,” Culture Minister Franck Riester told RTL radio, according to Reuters. Riester said that political activists will likely cause more violence at Paris’ tourist attractions. Demonstrators in previous protests have defaced the Arc de Triomphe and looted shops on the iconic Champs Élysée avenue, as well as elsewhere in the city.
Police also asked restaurants and shops in the Champs Élysée and Bastille areas to close on Saturday and requested authorities in 15 areas in the city remove anything from the streets that violent protestors could potentially turn into projectiles, Reuters reports.
If you have a trip to Paris planned this weekend or in the near future, expect disruptions and cancellations to your plans. Now would also be good time to check if you booked your trip on a card with built-in protection if things go wrong, and here’s a full list of cards that offer travel protection.
Featured image by LIONEL BONAVENTURE/AFP/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.