Paris Braces for Another Weekend of Violent Protests
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Officials in France are bracing for the ninth straight weekend of protests by the yellow vest movement. National police chief Eric Morvan in an interview with France Inter radio said officials are expecting the number of protesters to be back to the levels that were seen prior to the holidays and are expecting the protests to continue to be violent. Last weekend saw around 50,000 protesters, a number up from the holidays but nothing near the 300,000 that turned for the first protest in November.
Paris chief of police Michel Delpuech said his forces face the unpredictability of the protesters which poses problems. According to Delpeuch, his forces will be spread out around the city. Hopefully by keeping forces spread around Paris they will be able to more quickly react to issues as they arise around the city. He hopes keeping the forces mobile will allow them to react and make arrests more quickly and shortening the duration of violence, should it occur.
Police will be stopping and searching protestors over the weekend. Authorities will be looking to confiscate weapons as well as protective gear that might make the protestors more willing to engage with police. Around 80,000 police officers will be working around the country this weekend with around 5,000 of those forces in Paris.
The yellow vests are demonstrating against French President Emmanuel Macron and his government. Protesters claim that Macron’s policies are aimed to help the wealthy and are disconnected from the every day lives of the ordinary French citizens.
The US Embassy in France has issued a statement to travelers to exercise caution around France this weekend.
H/T: The Local
Featured Photo by Lionel Bonaventure/AFP/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.