80 Off-Limits Historic Sites in and Around Rome Will Be Open This Weekend
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Ready to cash in your points and miles for a last-minute flight to Italy?
Starting Thursday, April 25, some of the most incredible historic palazzos, monasteries, parks and off-limits sites in and around Rome will be free and open to the public. It’s actually a follow up to the first “Giornata delle Dimore Storiche del Lazio,” which happened last October. The goal is to showcase the hidden treasures of Lazio, the region that encompasses Rome. The sites will be open through Sunday, April 28.
Though Rome is one of Italy’s most visited cities, Lazio often gets bypassed in favor of Tuscany, the Amalfi Coast and other picturesque regions. But Lazio is home to plenty of treasures, too, such as Palazzo Chigi in Ariccia — designed by Bernini and owned by one of Rome’s most powerful papal dynasties — and Castello Borghese a Pratica del Mare, the noble Borghese family’s palazzo by the coast in Pomezia.
Then there’s the Renaissance-era Palazzo Ruspoli, in the seaside town of Cerveteri, which is still home to the princesses Maria Pia and Giacinta Ruspoli.
Unlike the Giornate FAI di Primavera, this event is only happening in Lazio — not the rest of Italy. Visitors can explore 29 sites in the province of Rome, which encompasses the city of Rome and surrounding towns like Ariccia, Pomezia, Nettuno and Frascati (the latter of which is known for its vineyards).
The province of Viterbo, famous for its thermal hot springs, will throw open the doors of 16 sites. There will be another 13 sites to visit in Latina, nine in Frosinone and six in Rieti. Most towns are accessible by regional trains that depart from Rome’s Termini Station.
Without a doubt, some of the most incredible sites to see are in the capital city. Travelers reading this from a hotel room in Rome can head over to Palazzo Doria Pamphilj al Corso, which the noble Pamphilij family filled with paintings by Caravaggio, Raphael and Titian; and the Francesco Borromini-designed Collegio Innocenziano on Piazza Navona. The former is a museum that normally charges an entry fee, while the latter is typically closed to the public.
The sites will be free to visit during Giornata delle Dimore Storiche del Lazio, but the number of people will be limited and reservations (for a maximum of four people per group) are required. To reserve your spot, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call +39-063-281-0961. There will also be a series of performances and tastings of local products at some of the sites during the four-day affair.
Featured photo courtesy of Rete delle Dimore Storiche del Lazio.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees